Please tell me how to network 2 Macs in OS X.

Jerry Curl

Registered
I hate this OS. OS 9 was sooooo much easier... *sigh*

I have 2 Macs running OS X.1.4... I tried a cross-over cable between the 2, now Im trying straight through cables and a hub. No luck. Please help before I kill someone.

NFS is a great way to share in Mac OS X.
There is a shareware tool called NFSmanager that makes this a bit easier for the novice....
um. here's one place you can find it:
http://www.bresink.com/osx/NFSManager.html

You can alternatively edit a couple of files by hand.The nice thing about NFS is you are able to network between you and any *nix on the internet. That was hard with OS 9! Plus windows machines can attach to NFS - but Samba is another way to handle that.

oh - btw - cat 5 cables, and a hub is my choice for network hardware in your situation.

-enjoy

easier than samba and NFS if both machines are macs is AFP. AFP is the apple native protocol used in OS9, and the easiest choice for OSX.

if you connect to macs with a crossover cable, then you should be able to share exactly as you did in OS9. just make sure you have enabled appletalk in your network settings, then go to your sharing preference pane, and enable apppletalk sharing.

then the computer should show up in the connect to server menu under Go in the finder. it should show up automatically, which makes it a lot easier to use than NFS or samba, for which there is no browsing capability without third party software.

if your computer does not show up here, then check that both machines have IP addresses consistent with your network, and that you can ping one machine from the other. if you need explanation on how to do this, we can provide.

The only way to share files between the machines is to restart both in OS9.2.2.

Ive checkes Apple's discussion site. Apparently Im not the only one using 10.1.4 and having a problem.

I know I have AppleShare on. I have types in the IPs to connect. If by some miracle it DOES see the other Mac, I get a weird message about an Apple Talk error on the G4, and on the G3 it wont see it at all.l

Sharing in OS 9.2.2 worls like a charm. If I keep the G4 in OS X, but change the G3 to OS 9, I can mount the G3 no problem. But dont dare try making the G3 run OS X... You wont get it...

I bought a hub last night. Still no worky for me in OS X, only OS 9... :(

sharing over AFP is OSX has worked just fine for me. i have done it OSX to OSX, OSX to OS9, OSX to NT, OSX to linux/netatalk. in those situations where i am using OSX as the client OS, i do not have to enter IPs. i can browse to find the servers.

i have never actually used a crossover cable with OSX, but i know that a crossover cable is physically identical to two straighthroughs and a hub. the computer will not know the difference.

i don t know why yours might not work. perhaps you can post some specifics of your machines? i.e. their respective IPs, what error messages you are getting.

i am slightly distressed by your problem. in my opinion it seemed about as easy to connect two macs over AFP in OSX as in OS9.

things to check:
1. both machines have valid IPs (it sounds like you ve done this)

2. there is connectivity between the machines. launch the terminal in one, and type
Code:
% ping [I]IPofothermachine[/I]
. you should get a string of replies. control-c to quit.

3. check that appletalk is enabled in the network preference pane of both machines.

4. check that file sharing is enabled in the sharing prefences of both machines.

5. if you at this point do not see the server in the network browser of your client, go to the server and in the terminal type
Code:
% ps ax | grep -i afp
, you should see a process called AFPserver or something. i will check what the name of that process is when i get home.

6. do a port scan of the server machine from your client machine. go to the utilities folder and launch network utility and go to the port scan tab. enter the IP of the server machine, and hit enter. it will show you all enabled ports. i believe AFP is 515. at anyrate, network utility will identify the port by name as the AFP port.

7. if you do see the server from your client, but cannot login, then check that you re account allows remote logins with another protocol. for example, enable remote access on the server (in the sharing preference pane), and then go to the terminal of your client machine, and type
Code:
% ssh -l [I]IPofserver[/I]
. see if you can login that way. or with ftp. tell us what errors you get, if any, from these methods.

Check in the appletalk tab under networking...

if the G3 is looking at it's ADB cable for appletalk data then there's one of your problems.

Just make sure sharing is started and then check in the connect computers dialog.

Another option might be ftp... if you know how to do that.

I had these problems at the start, but after making sure the IP addreses all match in the first 3 sections(198.162.254.X) with a different last section for each machine then all works fine, I now have 8 mac's networked, 6 using OS10.1.4 and 2 using OS9.2.2 along with 2 PC's and everythig connects with no problems. but i have noticed the connecting in OS9 mounts remote computers much quicker so instead of connecting with the GO menu I have classic running and connect with the chooser (added to the dock)

I dont know if this information helps you at all, but dont give up

testuser, where were you when i had this issue? It's so freaking easy once you figure it out. I just connected the two machines directly and gave one an IP of 10.0.0.1 and the other 10.0.0.2 and a SubNet Mask of 255.255.255.0 (i think). And make sure file sharing is on!

Worked fine. If they don't auto detect each other type in the other machines IP address in the 'chooser' or 'connect' window.

any questions ask.
twister

Originally posted by twister
testuser, where were you when i had this issue? It's so freaking easy once you figure it out. I just connected the two machines directly and gave one an IP of 10.0.0.1 and the other 10.0.0.2 and a SubNet Mask of 255.255.255.0 (i think). And make sure file sharing is on!

Worked fine. If they don't auto detect each other type in the other machines IP address in the 'chooser' or 'connect' window.

any questions ask.
twister

On a related note, it seems I have to turn that dratted file sharing on, all the time. Does anyone else have a problem with it turning itself off after periods of inactivity? I should mention that I am connecting via wireless.

Keith Curtis

Back