Plextor PX-504A DVD-RW

ewgregory

Registered
Greetings all... This is my first post here so please bear with me :) I looked around and couldn't quite find what needed so I figured it was time to post a question.

I recently got a mac mini (love it). There are some problems though, it would seem with my Plextor DVD burner. One of my purchases was an external USB housing for the drive so I could use it with the Mac. The problem is though, that "disk utility" and everything else doesn't seem to see the drive as a burner or any media I put into it as writable.

If anyone has any tips, tricks, or suggestions, please let me know. Also, would there be a snowball's chance in hell of getting the drive to work with iDVD which came with iLife? What's the best way to burn data DVDs (I like to archive photos on DVD)?

Thanks Very Much :)

Eric

Does anything show up at all?? Does it show up under system profiler?? If it does and says "unsupported" then you might need patchburn 3 to help out...

http://www.patchburn.de/download.html

Patchburn links many non apple designed burners to the system, and works very well.

Hope that helps...just a shot in the dark....

Later
Tim

Thanks :) I installed PatchBurn and iDVD '05 seems to see the drive. Only thing is that the disk utility does not seem to want to allow burning to the drive so I'm unsure how it will work. I'll be doing some testing on it later today...

Thanks again...

Eric

On mine disc utility won't let me erase the disc, but will let me erase the drive which oddly enough erases the disc!! :D Check under system profiler, it should now say "vendor supported"...althouhg being an external drive adds a whole new twist to everything.

Once you get some results, might want to post them at xlr8yourmac.com (add it to the list of drive reports)

Let us know how it goes...

later
Tim

Well, I get the whole "vendor supported" message, but everything I try states that the drive can not burn DVDs, CDs yes, but not DVD. Soooo... I don't quite know what else to try on this one... I'm certainly open to other suggestions :)

Thanks...

Eric

Just through the iApps/Finder or do you use Toast??

Oh, one other thing, when you open system preferences under hardware there is a CD's/DVD's icon, did you click on that and set it up?? you need to tell it what to do when you insert a blank DVD or it might ignore it (that is one of the options).

Just a thought..

Later
Tim

Back