Pm G3. Vnc?

CharlieJ

R.I.P bobw
Right. try to work this out. I have no idea how this is going to work but. Its worth a try :)

Right.. What I am looking to do is using my old G3 as a server. its all connected and running but theres one problem. I have no monitor. I thought. "It's ok! I'll VNC it." So I type my ip address in to the vnc viewer.

I find out that it doesn't work. I'm guessing that remote desktop isn't active in the sharing tab in system preferences. One thing I can do is FTP. Thats about it. I have a laptop (Windows) :D and it has a video port on the back (like the one on the G3) but i plug it in and get nothing. the only other mac i have in this house is an iMac. so i cant plug anything into it. so... Got any idea's guys?

Install a VNC server on the G3, and use any VNC viewer to control it from either the PC or the Mac.
Or try Timbuktu.

Can you ssh into it?

What I'd try is this (if it were me). I'd download Vine Server (free VNC Server) and make a StartupItem which will start it on boot... test it all out using that iMac you have. Boot the G3 into Target Disk Mode (from the iMac), put the VNC Server and StartupItem in place and restart the machine. VNC Server should start automatically and you should be able to VNC into it.

Unless there's an easier way.

Back