PMG4 Quicksilver DP 1ghz 512mb Won't Boot

spitty27

Apple Avid
Hey guys,

I searched google for this and came across a relevant article and I believe the solution might be to get a new pram battery (suggested radioshack), but I'd like to get some second thoughts.

I recently acquired a dual processor 1ghz powermac g4 quicksilver with what seems to be 512mb ram, and an upgraded 200gb harddrive. I had to buy a new power cord from radio shack because it didn't come with one but when I turn it on, i see a glowing white light behind the power button that fades away almost immediately. I hear (and see when i pulled down the side cover) the fan moving, and a little red led light shines bright on the motherboard, but the harddrive does not spin up. I'm not sure if the optical drive turns on either. I tried messing with the jumper settings and switching the ide cables in the computer but nothing worked. I put the drive in an external enclosure and it mounted fine, so i have no doubts on the drive, but i was wondering if this is indeed a pram battery issue, and how much it would cost to get a new one. the other site estimated around 12-15 bucks (very reasonable considering i got the computer for free).

Let me know as i'd love to get working on it.

also, i believe it has two graphics cards and one has an ADC connection - are those the ones that look like dvi but are oval shaped?

My suggestion would be that you carefully remove the PRAM battery and take it with you to Radio Shack. They'll be able to test the battery level for you. Then buy a new one, cause yours is probably dead (especially if it's the "purple" one).

You can also reset the NVRAM by booting up while holding down the COMMAND + OPTION + P + R keys. (The COMMAND key is the one with the Apple logo / whirlygig on it)

A dead PRAM battery will cause all kinds of funky behaviors.

i tried command option p r before i posted and it produced nothing. i guess the question im having is -

does the pram power the motherboard or logic board? how do i know if either of the three are dead? (aside from taking the 3.6v lion bat to radioshack)

thanks

I am having the exact problem and was told by one the great techs here after much troubleshooting that the logic board firmware is bad and would require a new board. I tore my same spec machine down to the logic board and put new thermal paste and reseated the cpu and video card. and tested the ram. still no tones and just wildly spinning fan. the system sounds like a 747. i have no powerlight and only shines when button is pushed.

Back