Podcast - A New Definition

I still don't get how people simply seem to forget about the word "pod" which perfectly describes what a podcast is about, technologically.

What a pathetic attempt to redefine a term to try to downplay the fact that the name of a rival product is indelibly linked to something they want to be a part of...

is it though? i seem to recall the names being mutually exclusive, and that apple bought into the association. personally, i like the definition given above.

While the definition they give is technically accurate (and, let's be honest.... very creative ;)), it is not accurate in the sense that it is ingoring the origin of the phrase.

In my use of language, I always try to pronounce words and use them based on their origins and language of origin.

I am SUCH a nerd.

a lot of radio stations, i've noticed, have simularly tried to avoid accociating podcasts with apple and iPod. Many of them call podcasts "Audio Blogs". Really irritaties me >:-(

Why should they be called podcasts at all? The term has already been bastardized to the point where it makes no sense. A) They have nothing to do with 'pods, and B) They're not broadcasts; they're downloads. There's a difference there. A broadcast is something that is transmitted to a large audience simultaneously (hence the broad).

When the term was coined, it made some sense. It was used to refer to radio broadcasts that were recorded and converted to an iPod-friendly form for later use.

I'm annoyed that Apple adopted the term, and I'm even more annoyed that everyone else is going along with it.

I'm also annoyed that now people are trying to attach a sensible definition to it.

Basically, I'm just easily annoyed. ;)

Lt Major Burns said:
is it though? i seem to recall the names being mutually exclusive, and that apple bought into the association. personally, i like the definition given above.
I've been doing research on podcasts for the last couple of weeks. I've looked at a lot of information online and have read several books, and all of the sources agree that the term podcast came into popular acceptance referring to the iPod. Mashing together a semi-clever acronym doesn't change that.

Mikuro: What do you _mean_ they have nothing to do with pods... A pod is a device that encloses things. A podcast is a media-file enclosed in an RSS feed. that "broadcasting" is used loosely here doesn't bother me much. it's still a one-to-many conversation.
When Apple adopted the term, the term was already out and in use. I can't remember any _other_ term having formed and won any kind of discussion back then... So: Should they have invented their _own_ term for it? _That'd_ have spread paranoia amongst the standards-people...

Agreed. Just as a regular "broadcast" is "cast" out to a "broad" audience, a "podcast" is "cast" out to a "Pod" audience. It's clever, rolls off the tongue well, and describes the concept just fine.

Blame Adam Curry, he started it.
You want the REAL definition, then go ask him.
"Podcast" is so "in" now that even the U.S. Army is making them.

Back