Pop Up HELL! American Psycho won't go away!

I think that's a good idea (from themacnut). Create a new user for your grandkids. Then, if they mess up their account, yours will be just the way you left it.

To explain (and forgive me if I'm getting waaay too simple here), your Mac allows you to have different "accounts" for different people, if you want to do so. If you do make an account for your grandchildren, anything they get off the Internet should not affect your account.

To do so, follow these directions:

1. Click on the Apple menu.
2. Select "System Preferences".
3. Click the icon (picture) at the top of the window that reads "Show All".
4. Click the "Accounts" icon, near the bottom of the window. It looks like two shadowy people. The contents of the window should change.
5. Find the + near the bottom left of the window. Click it.
6. The window should change a bit.
7. Enter "kids" or something in the name text box (the white box next to the word "Name"). You might have to first click in the text box.
8. Press the tab key twice or click in the white box to the right of "password". Enter an easy, short password in all lowercase.

Now, when your grandkids want to use the computer,

A. Save your papers or whatever if you have anything open, say, in Appleworks or Microsoft Word.
B. Click on the Apple menu.
C. Click the very bottom choice in the menu, "Log out Meghd" or whatever your username is.
D. It should go to a screen with a white box and both your username and "kids" in the white box. This is called the Login Window. Have your grandkids click on "kids" and type in that easy password you set up. They'll have to click a "continue" button or something (can't remember exactly).
E. A screen will come up that looks like what your iMac screen looked like when you first used it. This is the "kids" account you set up. They will have their own background picture, Dock, etc. You might have to drag icons to the Dock (at the bottom of the screen) such as the Safari icon, so they can run Safari and surf the Internet.
F. When they're done, start back at A on this list, except click on YOUR username picture instead of "kids". You should be back where you want to be.

Wow. That was complicated to explain. I hope it wasn't too much. Let us know if you have more questions. There are many helpful people on this site.

Doug

Additionally, especially if you use only OS X-native programs, turn off Classic auto-startup (or at least turn on Classic startup warning) to make sure you know exactly when Classic starts. You can do this from the Classic pane in System Preferences; not having used Jaguar for quite some time, I don't know how much it changed with Panther, but there are any number of people here who can walk you through it if you need that.

My solution to the original problem would have been to Command-tab to something else, open Terminal and run top... but it seems you don't need this step afterall. :)

Wouldn't have worked anyway, Arden. As a screen saver in classic, it wouldn't show up on the process lists. Neither top nor Activity Monitor show the names of running Classic applications. If it was an app based (rather than control panel) screen saver, it might have shown up in the Classic preference pane's Memory/Versions tab.

Though hitting ⌘-tab would have stopped the screen saver anyway. ;)

Ah, you're right! The entire Classic environment shows up as TrueBlue Environment, or something like that. How silly of me not to remember that. :rolleyes:

Back