Pop3 email with a specific port

supanatral

Registered
I'm trying to setup my iPhone to use port 2501 to send mail instead of the default port 25. Am I able to do that?

Depends on who your SMTP server is.

If you run your own mail server, then it's as easy as getting SMTP to listen on the new port rather than 25. If you do this, though, your SMTP server still has to send out on port 25, since other mail servers won't be listening on any ports other than 25 (or 443, for SSL).

If you don't run your own mail server and use an ISP or similar for mail, then you would have to ask them.

You should be able to Change what you want under "SETTINGS">Mail> Accounts (chose your POP or IMAP) then scroll down to ADVANCED and change what you need to.

While you can change those values freely, if you change them to a port that isn't supported by your ISP (or mail provider), then you won't be able to send mail.

For example, if I wanted to use port 26 instead of 25 to send email on my AT&T email address, I couldn't just go into Mail.app and change the port for that account from 25 to 26 and still expect sending mail to work. It just wouldn't work.

Try it: change one of your accounts to a port other than 25 or 443, then try and send an email using that account's server. Come back and post the results.

ElDiabloConCaca's : Good point... You are correct... i have my own mail server that gives these options for example that might assist you supanatral:

Mail Server Username: yourname+domain.com
Incoming Mail Server: mail.domain.com (default port 143)
Incoming Mail Server: (SSL) ssl.domain.com
Outgoing Mail Server: mail.domain.com (server requires authentication) port 587 (however the default for some servers is port 25)
Outgoing Mail Server: (SSL) ssl.domain.com (server requires authentication) port 465
Supported Incoming Mail Protocols: POP3, POP3S (SSL/TLS), IMAP, IMAPS (SSL/TLS)
Supported Outgoing Mail Protocols: SMTP, SMTPS (SSL/TLS)​

Again... post your success after for others to read.

Best,
CaribbeanOS-X

Thanks for your help. I understand what ports are so don't worry. The email server for the company I just started with is just a small email server in toronto but instead of port 25, they use 2501. So do I type in mail.domain.com:2501 for the outgoing mail server?

No, you type in "mail.domain.com" for the outgoing mail server, and then change the port from 25 to whatever under the "Advanced" pane.

I feel like an idiot because I still don't see it. Are you guys using the the iPhone 3G version 2.0.1?

I go into the email settings and put in the name of the account, email address, username and password then it goes to advanced and I can then specify an incoming mail server with a username and password as well as an outgoing mail server along with a username and password, but still no option to specify a port number.

Oops, sorry, I was thinking Mail.app under Mac OS X. My apologies, I don't have an iPhone to test with.

Reading through some other forums, it seems that your original idea of "server.com:port" should work.

I found out a way! I emailed Apple about it and they replied saying that there is a way. Unfortunatly, I think whoever programed it wasn't really thinking to much. There is no direct way to select a specfic port like 2501 when adding the email account however when you go into the email settings after its created, you can change it in there.

While setting it up, you have to use a smtp server that works on port 25 that you have another account setup with so that it verifies ok, but then after you do that and setup the email, you then go into the properties and setup the right account information along with the port number.

Back