Populating 10.4.2 web server from an AD

Foggy

Registered
I am setting up a 10.4.2 server to provide web space for our students. I have successfully made a BIND to our AD. We have users home directories on a separate server that will be used just for file services (homes). I want to use the same account information they login with to authenticate to the web server via FTP and get a second home (or just the sites folder) So my question(s) go

What is the best way to populate my web server with AD users that have already got home directories on another 10.4.2 server?
I can see all the AD accounts in WGM but cannot figure out how to use the info so that homes are created on the web server and allow users to FTP into their sites folder using the same login and password as they do for regular authentication.

Are you populating 10.4.2 with AD users that already have homes on another server? How are you doing it?

Foggy said:
I am setting up a 10.4.2 server to provide web space for our students. I have successfully made a BIND to our AD. We have users home directories on a separate server that will be used just for file services (homes). I want to use the same account information they login with to authenticate to the web server via FTP and get a second home (or just the sites folder) So my question(s) go

What is the best way to populate my web server with AD users that have already got home directories on another 10.4.2 server?
I can see all the AD accounts in WGM but cannot figure out how to use the info so that homes are created on the web server and allow users to FTP into their sites folder using the same login and password as they do for regular authentication.

I do the same, except I use open directory. So my fileserver OD contains all users with access to the fileserver. So my mailserver OD contains all users with access to the mailserver. The mailserver also checks the fileserver OD and allow all those users also to pick up their mail etc.

To enable this, add the fileserver OD to the mailserver OD with use of the program 'directory access' in the utilities map.

When you have done that, you can also manage the filserver OD on the Mailserver with WGM.

Kees

Back