Porting an app from Linux

Ninaboo

Registered
Hi all,

I am an anime fansubber who unfortunately uses a mac in a windows software dominated world. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who is interested in taking a stab at helping me port over a subtitle timing application.

Source code is here: http://www.sabbu.com

I would love to be taught how to do this so that when the author updates the software I can recompile and keep up with new features.

I've found such sites as Fink, and the GTK-OSX project, but I have no clue how to go about doing this (as my programming years are 13 years behind me.

Any help is greatly appreciated,
Ninaboo

Depending on how the makefiles are configured, thee are certain switches you can send to the compiler when you type "./configure". I don't remember what it is, so you might want to do a "./configure --help" on the terminal. There should be a switch that allows you compile for other platforms.

Mind you, you would also have to make sure that your Mac OS X environment had the necessary libraries needed for this app to run under Mac OS X. Fink should be able to resolve that problem, but it's always something to consider. I'm also assuming that you would have to run this under X11. I don't know how easy it would be to code over to native OS X.

a more detailed version of how to compile those pesky linux apps

1.First install developer tools, available from apple website.
2.Install X11 and X11SDK
3.Install fink
4.install all the needed libraries needed by the app via fink.(gtk in this case, could be other required programs too)
5.untar the source file
6. run "./configure" or "./configure --prefix='where u wanna put it' " (don't type in the ")
7.make sure configure ran without any problems (reading the output helps)
8. run "make"
9. if make ran without any problems u can try running the app by typing "./appname" sometimes they are hidden in directory, sometimes they dont run but most of the time they work
10. run "sudo make install" which will install to appropriate location or location specified in configure
11. Fire up X11 if app requires it and run it from xterm. If app does not require x11 running it from terminal would be enough.

Back