POSIX compliance & GNU tools

aurik94

Registered
Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the Mac world... in fact I'm brand new to it (I just ordered me a new Powerbook Ti, due to arrive sometime early March -- just in time for the first release of OS X), but I've been around in the UNIX and Linux world for a fair bit (I started playing with BSD UNIX back in '92, and Linux back in '93), so I'm pretty comfortable with the GNU development suite...

My questions are these -- I know they've already been answered (is there a FAQ for questions like these somewhere)?

1) How 'POSIX-compliant' is Mac OS X? Will most of the GNU development tools port over to it?

2) I know that there's probably a gcc port already, but what about GNU make, perl, flex, bison and GNU's other development tools?

3) If I feel that I *absolutely have to* have LinuxPPC and OS X dual-booting on the same PB, can LinuxPPC read the OS X filesystem, and vice-versa?

Thanks in advance!

As far as the dev tools you can get those from Apple for free with a graphical IDE and several other useful apps. OS X uses the HFS+ and/or UFS formats so linux would have no trouble reading the file system.

Enjoy that new TiBook:),

but don't you have to be a developer to be able to download the dev tools? If not, where's the web site to go to to get them?

Go to connect.apple.com and register for free as an online member. The dev tools are 70 mb or 100 mb depending on which version you decide to get.

Hope this helps :),

> 1) How 'POSIX-compliant' is Mac OS X? Will most of the GNU development tools port over to it? <

From what I know, OSX is POSIX, they just didnt bother to get POSIX certification.

> 2) I know that there's probably a gcc port already, but what about GNU make, perl, flex, bison and GNU's other development tools? <

You can get the dev tools for free from apple's website. But (for the severely masochistic, such as Myself), I'd get the various source, and install it by hand myself. Heh

> 3) If I feel that I *absolutely have to* have LinuxPPC and OS X dual-booting on the same PB, can LinuxPPC read the OS X filesystem, and vice-versa? <

This, I dont know. Anyone else know?

> 3) If I feel that I *absolutely have to* have LinuxPPC and OS X dual-booting on the same
PB, can LinuxPPC read the OS X filesystem, and vice-versa? <

On a UFS volume, I don't see why not. On a HFS volume I think HFS vs. HFS+ might be an issue (I'm not certain that LinuxPPC can read HFS+... I know debian says it cant)

>> 2) I know that there's probably a gcc port already, but what about GNU make, perl, flex, bison and GNU's other development tools? <<
<br>
>You can get the dev tools for free from apple's website. But (for the severely masochistic, such as Myself), I'd get the various source, and install it by hand myself. Heh <
<br>
Those dev tools get you all those tools and a recent version of perl as well. You can download CPAN to compile and install a lot of perl modules.
<br>
I've compiled a lot of other stuff as well. mysql, mod_perl, php, OpenSSL, Expat, and so on... XFree86 has been ported as well but for now it doesn't coexist with Aqua.
<br>
Java support is good as well. I use it to run Oracle's XML classes and parsers. They are not certified but work perfectly.
<br>
<br>
Try out LinuxPPC, but I think that you'll end up using MacOS X as it will basically do almost anything Linux can do. If you like to recompile your kernel you can install Darwin on another partition.
<br><br>
<b>dani++</b>

get all your dev utilz from freshmeat.net... and no you dont have to be a developer to get them... apple just doesn't provide them to the average joe b/c they are following the M$ idea of trying to idiot proof stuff they think the end L user will and will not need =]

To conclude you can search around these sites for the things you want... And most of them are macos x compliant due to the bsd "foundation" bla bal bla

http://www.gnu.org/directory/index.html
http://www.freshmeat.net/

have fun

Back