Possible OS 10.1.5 bug

oldwarrior

Registered
Since installing OS 10.1.5, I have been unable to access URLs from my mail program (Outlook Express). What I get instead is a cursor at the beginning of the received message. It doesn't seem to be browser specific because I get the same results with both Internet Explorer and Omniweb. My guess is that it's an OS 10.1.5 bug

still works fine for me from mail.app:)

(why do people always blame apple when 3rd party stuff doesn't work?:confused: :rolleyes: )

Ed,
I'm not using Apple's mail program. As I said, i"m using Outlook Express vs 5.0.4 and the only thing changed was the upgrade to OS 10.1.5 when this started. I have in the Mac camp since the days of the Fat Mac in the mid eighties and am not knocking Apple. I am just trying to find out some information on this problem, At my Mac users meeeting last night, I found two other people with same problem.

Cheers ;)

I think what Ed meant is that he uses Mail.app, it works, and you should use that instead of some M$ app, since it's by Apple

I have been using Apple Mailk app, butr so far have found it lacking. As for Outlook Express, yes it is in Classic mode. BG has not seen fit to upgrade it yet to OS X. Will continue to look at Mail app and may change over eventually.

For the record: G4, 466mgh, 512 mh memory. communicating on the cable through a Linksys router and modem.

ok, i guess the point is to try mail.app and see if it works. if it does, then it is the other apps that need to update to stay with the program. apple probably updated mail in the process. i'm pretty sure they did because i had to click the 'allow' button that comes up after the update.

if mail doesn't work, then you may have some sort of problem or a bug peculiar to your setup. possibly some file or volume structure corruption. unless everyone using those apps is getting it. then you need to contact their developers and get them on the ball.

so to be clear overall - if the problem only exists in apps not made by apple, it isn't a bug and it's not apple's 'fault'. (claiming a bug in the system is placing blame on apple). it is the other developers' responsibility to be aware of changes that effect their apps and to update tham asap. (yea, m$ is gonna drop everything and do that:rolleyes: ). it it does happen in apple apps as well, you might have a point. since many of us are not expereincing this, it has got to have some specific cause unique to you and the others who have it.

is anyone else using those apps and not getting the problem?

classic apps have the tendency of not working, it may be something in .5 but i find that transfering to mail.app fixed my problems with outlook.

I have a similar problem with MS Entourage, a native OS X program. I hit a URL link in an email, IE 5.2 fires up, but no page!
If I am already on a page, that page comes up on top, but I don't get the new URL I just clicked. This started with the 10.1.5 upgrade.

Mac 7500 xlr8/owc G3 400Mhz upgrade (unsupported) OS 10.1.5

Well it's nice (sort of) to know I'm not alone on this one. Now we need a solution from somewhere out there in cyberspace.

Don

I used to use oulook but since having various problems i ditched it... opt for Mail.app much more stable... only down side i found was that it dodn't support News but this was a ninor defect.

I recent tried to upgraded my browser to IE 5.2... Has anyone tried it? Found Many problems? To me it seems to be buggy as hell. I ended up ditching it in favour of Mozilla :)

Go! Mozilla...
I Adore it :)))

I downloaded IE 5.2 last week. No problems on the installation, however, it did change my default home page to MSN. Not nice of them. Biggest change is in the speedup of page loading:(

Don

ok, maybe i'm wrong. try software update now. a new network update has been released and i'll bet it fixes this. i had to reset mail.app to 'always allow' afterwards.

Back