Possible Processor for the future?

Apart from the technical issues, I believe that this chip, which reportedly has a *gigantic* Die size [the amount of silicon wafer needed to produce one chip]...will be extremely expensive to produce.

Therefore, it only makes sense [to me] that it will be in products that are subsidized cost-wise by the manufacturer/vendor in order to get the product into more homes affordably.

Case in point would be the game console the Playstation 3, where in fact it would be subsidized by Sony. This makes perfect sense as this is supposed to be one of the integral parts of that next gen console.

Based on the fact that Apple seems to make money off its *hardware*, and not its software sales like Sony for instance.....I highly doubt that this chip would end up in apple computers.

But by the time 2005 comes around, who knows whats going to happen. Thats a long time in technology years.

Originally posted by Excalibur
Have you guys seen this?

http://news.com.com/2102-1001-948493.html

Might be a possibility in the future as well, since Apple likes to keep their options open. Co-developed by IBM, Sony, and Toshiba. What do you think?

Might this be what Steve said about keeping options open ? If they make it with the .065 design rules I'm hearing about, it'll be about the size of the Xeon. What IBM likes about this process is they can turn off processors not being used. And when you call up a serious program like Photoshop, it'll turn on processors as it needs them. I had already heard Apple will be using dual core chips, quite possibly the Power4. The problem is I haven't heard anything from IBM for 4 months - very unusual. And they were touting the 750FX long before Apple used it.

Originally posted by gibbs
Apart from the technical issues, I believe that this chip, which reportedly has a *gigantic* Die size [the amount of silicon wafer needed to produce one chip]...will be extremely expensive to produce.

Therefore, it only makes sense [to me] that it will be in products that are subsidized cost-wise by the manufacturer/vendor in order to get the product into more homes affordably.

Case in point would be the game console the Playstation 3, where in fact it would be subsidized by Sony. This makes perfect sense as this is supposed to be one of the integral parts of that next gen console.

Based on the fact that Apple seems to make money off its *hardware*, and not its software sales like Sony for instance.....I highly doubt that this chip would end up in apple computers.

But by the time 2005 comes around, who knows whats going to happen. Thats a long time in technology years.

I highly doubt it is that expensive if its going in a PS3. The total system price will never go about $500 at most for a PS3. Plus the target market for the chip is more than just the PS3 they say. Being that is is co-developed by Toshiba and IBM, obviously that where the multicore idea came from we never know. Not saying its gonna happen.... just saying it is possible.

You missed my point.

Companies like Sony subsidize the cost of the playstation to sell units, because they typically dont profit from the hardware sale, but the software sales. That is why the unit could cost 500 dollars, but Sony can afford to subsidize 200 of that bringing the cost down to 300 [example].

That was what I was saying.

But sure it could happen, I was just speculating as much as you were.

I want my next Mac to come with a sticker that says "Think Different®." :)

Originally posted by gibbs
You missed my point.

Companies like Sony subsidize the cost of the playstation to sell units, because they typically dont profit from the hardware sale, but the software sales. That is why the unit could cost 500 dollars, but Sony can afford to subsidize 200 of that bringing the cost down to 300 [example].

That was what I was saying.

This is a bit tangental to the conversation, but it should be pointed out that Sony will do its best to not subsidize the PS3 hardware. Of course, for the begining of the console's lifetime it will have to be subsidized, but their overall goal will be to have the Cell chip be cheep to produce early in the lifetime, so they don't end up in a situation like MS.

Originally posted by Excalibur

I highly doubt it is that expensive if its going in a PS3. The total system price will never go about $500 at most for a PS3. Plus the target market for the chip is more than just the PS3 they say. Being that is is co-developed by Toshiba and IBM, obviously that where the multicore idea came from we never know. Not saying its gonna happen.... just saying it is possible.

Like the dude previously said about subsidizing. All console makers sell systems at a loss, not just Sony. When Xbox came out it was said that microsoft took a $100 to $200 dollar hit per Xbox sold. I think it it was closer to perhaps below $150.

Originally posted by Oscar Castillo

Like the dude previously said about subsidizing. All console makers sell systems at a loss, not just Sony. When Xbox came out it was said that microsoft took a $100 to $200 dollar hit per Xbox sold. I think it it was closer to perhaps below $150.

I know consoles sell their hardware at a loss and make up sales on the software licenses. Which is why I marked my price up to $500 as an estimate. The PS3 will most likely sell around $399 at most so even at a loss of $100 is still falls in that $500 range I was giving. My point was just to give a range nothing more. Just trying to say it is a possibility thats all.

I read that in the "near" future , Apple might use nvidia motherboards

Ok, it's spymac.com that says but we never know, this might as well be true

It's an interesting concept to de-CPU-ize multimedia and graphics tasks. It's been done before with great (technical, not financial) success with the Commodore Amiga in the late 80s.

It would also make perfect sense considering that Apple wants to do this with Quartz Extreme.

If you have more info, please go to http://mac.fryke.com and share.

Back