Possible to convert QEMU disk images back to Virtual PC?

dodginess

Registered
Hi All,

I have a G4 and copies of Virtual PC 7 and QEMU 0.9.0. For some reason Virtual PC is no longer booting from any of my Windows CD (I wanted to use XP but also had 98 and 2000 to hand, and the same result) so I decided to give QEMU a go and so far so good.

If possible what I'd like to do is try and convert the QEMU disk image so it will work in Virtual PC - I know QEMU is supposed to be slower than Virtual PC but it seems *deathly* slow compared to it :D I used to run Virtual PC on my old eMac (700MHz and 256MB RAM) and XP was definitely usable back then, so now that I have a shiny-ish 1.42GHz version and 1GB RAM I was hoping for a little bit of a speed boost...

I've already looked in the QEMU package and found the qemu-img application but I can't use this according to the documentation - I can convert Virtual PC images to QEMU's supported formats but I can't go back the other way.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Dodg

I guess my question was a bit too "niche" for everyone :D

I haven't really got any further with this, but I have found that the qemu-img tool can convert the qcow/qcow2 disk images to raw format, so I guess my next question is does anyone know how to convert raw format images to Virtual PC (vhd) format? There are a couple of PC applications that can do this but this kind of defeats the point - if I had a PC I wouldn't need to run Virtual PC/QEMU.

Thanks,

Dodg

Back