Post Election - Chaos?

Status
Not open for further replies.
At 9:44am 11/3, even CNN is saying the election is still up in the air. At this point, even with Ohio, Bush falls short of the 270 electoral votes needed to win.

Absentee and provisional ballots may take quite a while to total:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...=/ap/20041103/ap_on_el_pr/eln_ohio_vote_count

Bush probably will be the winner, but it's too early to gloat, and for a party which imagines itself to be protecting America's morals, gloating is rather inappropriate even in the event of a clear victory. At this point, even an electoral tie is not out of the question.

As for making a mockery of the electoral college? Frankly, I've been horrified and embarrassed by it since the first time I heard of it, since long before I was old enough to give a d@mn about politics. Mocking it is almost redundant.

And speaking of people making themselves look foolish: it's "buffoon".

Reports are a little conflicted, but my understanding is:

To win, Kerry needed Ohio

The "regular" votes had given the state to Bush by a margin of about 130,000 or so

The absentee (mail-in) and provisional ballots (for people who showed up at the wrong polling place yesterday) might take many days to count. However, we know about how many there are. The number comes awfully close to 130,000.

So, even if the number of uncounted votes IS, barely, greater than the difference in count so far, all or nearly all of them would have to go to Kerry - and the odds of that happening are very, very small.

It is traditional for the losing candidate to concede when a loss seems inevitable, even if the counting is still in progress. Apparently, Kerry believed his chances of winning were sufficiently small that it was better to concede victory gracefully. (Edit: Point of grammar -- If you are conceding that your opponent has beaten you, are you conceding victory, or conceding defeat?)

I'm very disappointed that Kerry lost, but I have to agree that, at this point, his chances of winning were pretty near zilch.

kerry probably received enough imformation saying that it even with the provisional ballots he would not win. even so, bush won the popular vote by 3 million.
more importantly, where did the democrats go wrong? how could we not replace an idiot? this is so irritating. i think i am more irritated at the democratic party right now than i am at the republican party. good for you republicans for scaring the daylights out of the majority to get your vote. wow is our country going down the drain. open your eyes and ears people.
i just have to say it's pretty funny that our nations capital voted 93% for kerry.

just glad it's all over at this point. nice that Kerry was stand-up about it and conceded instead of firing up the lawyer engines and drawing this thing out.
I hope had things been turned around - that Bush would have done the same thing.

guess the whole Redskins myth is not debunked...

Well all... I am glad that the Kerry camp took a statesman like attitude and conceeded without a lengthy court battle. This is good for the country, even if the outcome was not good in your opinion.

I'm going to close this thread now, if things change for some reason or riots start, I'll open it back up.

It was fun talking with all of you... now maybe we can set our differences politically aside and just debate over which mac we want.

Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back