poster design - any other ideas?

HyperLiteG4

Registered
I just wanted to get opinions and see what people thought of this poster I am designing for a concert I am promoting for later this fall. any ideas, suggestions and criticism is welcome...

autumnfest082504_lowres.jpg

Way too many fonts, trim them down to 2 or 3. And vary the sizes a little bit as well. They all scream out and the message is lost in th noise. The text basically obscures the photo of the guitarist. I didn't notice it at first, I just thought it was a reddish background.

Just some suggestions. I agree with Zammy that it looks great.

Unless the typeface is part of the logo, I'd switch the fonts between "autumnfest" and the list of bands. That way you would have the western font on the wooden panels and the seventies smooth one for the list. That way it is a little less like screaming.
I'd move the little map, address and phone nr. above the apple logo and "wahoo's fish taco" an put it horizontally. Then you could add "Only" before the "5 bucks" or center it, as you like. You could also put dashes between "sunday" and "october" and "6 pm"

Excellent design overall! I like it. I do have some nitpicky critiques:

1. I wouldn't state the New Venture Christian Fellowship presents more than once. Remove the one in the stylized "Circus" font to give you more room for the title in the banner.

2. I wouldn't use the Circus font as orange with a white outline; it's just not legible. Test this by placing it on a wall 30ft away from you and walking back. If you can't read it then you need more size and/or more contrast in your font. I would just use white text on that great background.

3. Pick a "display font" and a "text font". That circus font conflicts with the other cooler/70's vibe font you have going on. I prefer the 70's one to the circus font.

Hope that helps! :)

Randman said:
Way too many fonts, trim them down to 2 or 3. And vary the sizes a little bit as well. They all scream out and the message is lost in th noise. The text basically obscures the photo of the guitarist. I didn't notice it at first, I just thought it was a reddish background.

I agree, the message is lost.

What is important ? The Automnfest ? 2004 (maybe you forgot you live in 2004 ?)? The four bands ? The special guest ? the 5 bucks ? All same size, that's too much.

Same thing for the phone number: if you have time to read and memorize it (or write it down) you are not driving by... you can write it smaller.

Back