Postfix and Spam Relays

trex

Registered
Hi all,

I'm running Postfix on Panther. I'm getting hit by spam relay attempts on a regular basis. They're not able to relay but still they're hitting the server very frequently. In addition they make up invalid cryptic looking usernames like

dtxsfgroxqlxq@mydomain.com in order to spoof the server.

What can I do to keep them from loading down my server?

I have set local_recipient in postfix to:

local_recipient_maps = unix:passwd.byname $alias_maps

I have also set the following for unknown_local_users

unknown_local_recipient_reject_code = 550

this rejects mail - 550 instead of the default of try again - 450.

In addition the following have been set:

mynetworks_style = host
mynetworks = 192.168.1.0/28, 127.0.0.0/8

Please let me know if you have any other suggestions for securing a Postfix server. I'm going to look into chroot setups too...

I assume you are accepting incoming mail on the Mac, right? If you are only relaying outbound mail from computers on your local network, and not receiving any incoming mail, you could simply block attempts to connect to port 25 at the firewall, for anyone not in the 192.168.1.0/28 net. If it's only for outgoing mail from the local host, then you could just set inet_interfaces=127.0.0.1 and not even listen on external interfaces...

Incidentally, if you specify mynetworks, then postfix ignores mynetworks_style.

Is it really so many connections that it's having a performance impact, or is it more just clogging up the log files?

Anyway, supposedly postfix is pretty easy to run chrooted too.

--------------
If you are only relaying outbound mail from computers on your local network, and not receiving any incoming mail, you could simply block attempts to connect to port 25 at the firewall, for anyone not in the 192.168.1.0/28 net. If it's only for outgoing mail from the local host, then you could just set inet_interfaces=127.0.0.1 and not even listen on external interfaces...
--------------

People on the internet need to connect to the mail server to send and receive email. So I would need for postfix to listen to connections coming from the internet. I'll look into chrooting postfix. does anyone know of a good tutorial for doing this on a Panter setup?

Back