Postfix installation for 10.2 (help needed)

kuragari

Registered
I am attempting to install postfix on a clean 10.2 system.
I have added:

BerkeleyDB 4.1.24
Gawk 3.1.1
Lynx 2.8.4
MySQL 3.23.51
PCRE 2.0.8 (through command-line from ftp://postfix.webweaver.net/official/)
PCRE 3.5.0 (through Fink)
Perl 5.8.0 (updated all packages and added DBI and DBD:mysql)

Fink's stuff is symbolically linked to /usr/local except etc, fink, src, and var. The bin, include and lib files are from the above packages have been linked into /usr/local.

I have not had any success with compiling PCRE 3.9.0 from www.sourceforge.net nor Postifix 1.1.11 from ftp://postfix.webweaver.net/official/. I have attempted to follow the instructions provided from:

http://www.hmug.org/HowTos/postfix.html

and

http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Workbench/eart.index.html

but I have not had no luck thus far. Older versions of Postfix do not recognize Darwin 6.0 and therfore will not 'make'.

Have any of you built it from the ground up? If so, I need some detailed instructions of the step-by-step process you did. Also, I am trying to build it will more recent stuff rather than 3 year old stuff. Thanks ahead for your assistance.

I installed postfix succesfully via fink ('fink install postfix'). I may have had to configure fink to look for the 'unstable' version of postifix (no stable version yet). It's been running fine under 10.2. The only change I had to make was in the startup script.

I went through the same steps listed in the hmug site and when I try to start postfix, I get this message:

postfix: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter setgid_group: unknown group name: postdrop

what does that mean and how do I fix it?

I have it working, but the previous 2 or 3 releases would compile but wouldn't run on OS X. Check out the auxiliary folder after expanding the gz file for instructions to install on OS X. You want to use maildrop instead of postdrop on OS X. I haven't really found out why it has to be that way but it does...

Originally posted by mkwan
postfix: fatal: file /etc/postfix/main.cf: parameter setgid_group: unknown group name: postdrop

My gutt tells me you need to create a group called 'postdrop' and own the appropriate files to that group.

Open up the NetInfo Manager. You will see an entry labled 'groups'. Click this, select a given group, duplicate it, and modify it for your pruposes. Make sure you change the gid to something unique.

Back