Postfix installation help

new2UNIX

Registered
I've downloaded postfix-20010228-pl08.tar.gz and extracted the files but I'm not too sure how to proceed. I've read the installation files and it looks like there are special instructions for the Public Beta version of OSX only (and I'm running 10.1.2). I'm also attempting to follow the instructions at
http://www.stepwise.com/Articles/Workbench/eart.1.2.html
with no luck when I get to the Postfix installation steps.

Upon entering:

make makefiles CCARGS="-I/usr/local/include -DHAS_PCRE" AUXLIBS="-L/usr/local/lib -ldb -lpcre"

I see:

make -f Makefile.in MAKELEVEL= Makefiles
set -e; for i in src/util src/global src/dns src/master src/postfix src/smtpstone src/sendmail src/error src/pickup src/cleanup src/smtpd src/local src/lmtp src/trivial-rewrite src/qmgr src/smtp src/bounce src/pipe src/showq src/postalias src/postcat src/postconf src/postdrop src/postkick src/postlock src/postlog src/postmap src/postsuper src/spawn src/flush ; do \
(set -e; echo "[$i]"; cd $i; rm -f Makefile; \
make -f Makefile.in Makefile MAKELEVEL=) || exit 1; \
done;
[src/util]
(set -e; echo "# DO NOT EDIT"; /bin/sh ../../makedefs && cat Makefile.in) >Makefile
Unknown system type: Darwin 5.2
make: *** [Makefile] Error 1
make: *** [Makefiles] Error 1
make: *** [makefiles] Error 2

I'm not sure where to proceed from here. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

I had forgotten about that little joy of building postfix! The trick is, when OS X 10.1.1 (I think) came out, there was a typo in the Darwin version number - it went from 1.4.something to 5.1, not 1.5.1, as was presumably intended. Never ones to admit a mistake, Apple continued on their new 'version 5' kick - 0S X 10.1.2 now has Darwin version 5.2. Postfix pl08 was released before 10.1.1, so they made the reasonable assumption that OS X would be Darwin 1.something for a while to come.

You have to find the file that specifies what OS goes with what sytem name and version number, and just change 'Darwin-1.*' to 'Darwin-5.*' (or something similar). The file is presumably one of the ones mentioned in the output messages you're getting. With luck, it will be the one makedefs file, and not every individual src/blah/Makefile.in that needs editing.

Oh, yeah, the OS X PB script is the one you want. I believe it won't run unless you actually edit it though. This was deliberate, they want to make sure their default script doesn't trample your own system's settings - you have to make sure the user and group IDs in their script are not already in use on your system.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hmm. I don't recall getting anything of that sort.

However, my postlog lives in /usr/local/sbin not /usr/local/bin (try 'which postlog'). Fraid I can't offer much beyond that. Maybe you could make a softlink from the one in sbin to the one in bin...

I too have installed postfix on my machine and now I was wandering how on would apply a patch to postfix or any other unix software, to fix any bug.

I know there are some instruction but none that explain how to apply a patch.

thanks

Edward

Back