PostScript fonts (going from OS 9 -> 10.3)

aardvark

Registered
Hello,

First time poster here. I hope this is not the wrong forum for this question but I figured that since I have a question about fonts, the graphics/media people would probably know the answer.

I have some PS fonts (Times New Roman and Arial) and I'm trying to get them installed on my computer with 10.3.

These fonts are stored on a Windows share and according to Windows have a byte count of 0. Obviously this is a mistake, probably due to Windows not being able to read the font correctly.

However, when you browse to the Windows share through OS 9, the font files appear correctly with correct byte counts and everything.

So... none of the font files have extensions, so I'm not sure what's what. In my Arial folder I have three files. ArialMT, ArialMTBol, and Arial_MT. ArialMT and ArialMTBol both have a big b&w M icon. Whereas Arial_MT has a suitcase with an A next to it.

What do these icons mean and which files do I need to copy over to 10.3 to get the fonts to work?

I tried using Font Book in 10.3 to add the fonts but that didn't work as I expected.

I haven't figured out where all my Times New Roman PS font files are so I'll have to deal with that later. What I'd like to know at this point is if I can use my old fonts and how to import them properly.

Thanks!
Chris.

p.s. My purpose for the font(s) is to use it in QuarkXPress 6 on 10.3. (I'm trying to decide if I need to buy the same fonts again or if what I have already is compatible.)

Chris, I just don't know if this will help, but I just checked my QXP 6. I'm in Tiger on a mac mini w/9.2 also installed. and I see all the fonts I had in 9.2 including the fonts you named and they all function. Do you have classic and are the fonts there? I'm thinking there must be a more simple solution other than buying the fonts. Let me know.
C

C,

But are they PostScript fonts? I don't know why it has to be that but according to my boss, for printing purposes the font must be PS.

I'm confused about how Classic mode fits into this. If QXP 6+ is a native OS X app then I will no longer have a need for Classic mode, except for (maybe) this issue regarding fonts. Are the fonts being accessed through Classic mode?

Thanks,
Chris.

The fonts you are referring to come with your computer, and they are postscript fonts. You shouldn't have to buy these same fonts again.

If they aren't showing up in Quark for you, I would check fontbook to see if they are activated. If you are using a lot of fonts, I recommend not using FontBook but Suitcase or FontAgent Pro instead.

Welcome to the forum!

Natobasso said:
The fonts you are referring to come with your computer, and they are postscript fonts.

I do currently have one G5 running 10.3 already and when I look in Fontbook I only see TrueType fonts. How can I verify that they are PostScript?

Natobasso said:
Welcome to the forum!

Thanks!

Chris.

aardvark said:
I do currently have one G5 running 10.3 already and when I look in Fontbook I only see TrueType fonts. How can I verify that they are PostScript?
Select (single-click) the font within Font Book. Select Preview > Show Font Info... menu item or press [Apple]-.

I work in design for print, and I'm pretty sure Times and Arial are postscript fonts. True Type fonts are usually not used as system fonts, as these are and have been on macs almost since they began…

I'm sure they'll rip great for you. :)

So are you still not seeing these fonts? Just do a find for "Times" or "Arial" and you'll find their exact locations in a snap!

Natobasso said:
So are you still not seeing these fonts? Just do a find for "Times" or "Arial" and you'll find their exact locations in a snap!

No it's not that. I can see the fonts listed in Photoshop and in Font Book. The problem is that I don't proof (i.e. proof to show my boss) that they are PostScript fonts. I can easily see that they are TrueType but this is not important. At least, I don't know enough about fonts to know exactly what that means and how it relates to PostScript.

Chris.

Natobasso said:
I work in design for print, and I'm pretty sure Times and Arial are postscript fonts. True Type fonts are usually not used as system fonts, as these are and have been on macs almost since they began…

I'm sure they'll rip great for you. :)

First off, Times and Arial are not System fonts. They are totally optional installs. In fact, Arial and Times New [Roman] are two of several Windows-compatibility fonts. They are variations of the Mac stalwart fonts Helvetica and Times, respectively. As for TrueType not being used as System fonts, this is the exact opposite of fact. All fonts supplied by Apple with MacOS X are TrueType, exclusively. Apple supplies TrueType because it wants to avoid the PostScript Type 1 license fee. And FWIW, you may install Type 1, Open Type, TrueType, Type 1 GX, or TrueType GX in either Mac or Windows format by simply placing them in an appropriate Fonts folder or by using a fonts management utility.

This will be atype 1 postscript font. The suitcase should contain the screen fonts the other 2 files are the printer fonts. Put all 3 in the fonts folder in your users/library/fonts folder and you should be able to see them in your osX programs. If you are using classic applications they will also have to be in the system folder/fonts folder.
If this does not work there may be somethhing missing from the suitcase. If you can access a OS9 mac you can open the suitcase to mke sure it contains both ArialMT and Arial MT bold screen fonts.

I also am experiencing the same issue as Chris explained earlier. Follow me on this scenario...I gather fonts I have used in a file that I want to send to a vendor (using OS9). I put them on my Windows 2003 server. When I view the fonts from my OS9 system. I click information on the font and it indicates it is a "Kind: PostScript™ font", size 36K. If I view this same font from Tiger the "Kind: Unix Executable File" at a size of 0KB. The font is unreadable. If I physically type a ".ps" on the end of the font name, it turns the font into a PosScript document (document not font) with a size of 0KB. Is there a PostScript font suffix that OS9 hides that I can just type onto the back of the Unix Executable File font?

Back