Postscript Printers for OS X Tiger

Cheeks

Registered
I'm looking to buy a new printer to use with my PowerBook OS X Tiger. I am finding that most of the printers are not Postscript compatable. What's up?

Does anyone know of an economiclly priced color printer (Epson, HP, Whatever) that will print postscript images (Illustrator). Something that can print 11" 17" would be good, but right now I'm looking for anything that might work for me.

Thank you.

EVERY application that uses the normal Mac printing interface (programming term) will produce postscript (I don't know of any that don't)*. So, that means that every printer, including non-postscript printers, must accept and translate postscript. The non-postscript printers ALL have drivers that do this in software, (which we used to call a RIP). So postscript isn't a major differentiation -- unless you read a review that says the particular model's driver doesn't correctly translate postscript.

Hope this helps.

*(for those who insist on accuracy - PDF is also produced - it is a derivative of postscript) :)

You are not going to get a cheap 11" x 17" printer. That said, you need to state a price range that you are willing to pay. This knowledge will help us to narrow our suggestions to a useful few choices.

I, too am looking for a postscript laser printer so I can print Illustrator eps files from Quark Express. Without postscript capability the drawings come out jagged. I know I could just make a PDF and print that, but it's an extra step. It is not true that any printer can print postcript. You have to have either software or a printer that has postscript built in. I saw a $400 HP 1320 at fry's today. The box said it emulates postscript, but I wanted to get some feedback.

PDF pretty much replaced PostScript printing for homes and offices. That "extra step" - which isn't really that _big_ a task now, is it? - could give you a lot of less expensive options when looking for a printer. I've found that for my test printing etc. ANYthing that works well on the Mac in general is "good enough" - so I went cheap. Doesn't mean that a final product has to be printed on a cheap printer, of course. I guess it really depends what quality you need at home or the office.

My HP 1020 prints beautifully, but I am working on a 100-page manual and it is a big extra step to have to make a pdf of certain pages and then go to Acrobat to print it out. For some reaosn it takes an extremely long time to print PDF files. I think it may be because my Mac (Desktop G3) isn't USB 2.0. Thanks

USB 1.1 and USB 2.0 have little to do with it. Saying that you are printing a PDF manual means nothing. Some PDFs are data-intensive. I am betting that your manual consists of more than plain text and line art. I am also betting that you didn't use Adobe Distiller to create it.

Back