Power Book G4 not booting HELP!!!

laxmac

Registered
Hi!

My computer suddenly froze yesterday. I switched it off and restarted it. I was in a hurry and ot was taking much longer than usual to reboot. So I switched the computer on and off in the middle of start-up (which I read is not at all smart) I did this twice. The third time, I got no apple icon and little wheel. I got a flashing Icon of a folder with a question mark and the finder icon appearing alternatively on it. I've tried resetting the NVRAM many times but that doesn't work. I've tried booting the system in safe mode but i get a blueish screen with two arrow icons on it. I went to MS-DOS type screen (by pressing command+option+O+F) and i tried typing in boot and i got this message

VHB is bad can't open

HELP!!! Please!!!

Laksh

The best thing is to bood from a system CD. Hold down the "c" key to force the machine to boot from the CD. Run disk utilities. Repair permissions and repair drive.

SB

OK, try to get back into Open Firmware by holding Apple-Option-O-F right after the Macintosh startup chime. Once there, type "reset-nvram" (no quotes) and hit Return. Then type "reset-all" and press Return. The Mac should reboot. See if that fixes the problem. Post back with results.

Hey!

Thanks a lot to both of you for your help! :)
The first suggestion worked like a charm!! I spent my whole day trying to fix my computer and the disk utilities solution only took a few minutes! The Disk utility system repaired all my corrupted "volumes" and my computers up and running again!!!

Thanks a lot for your help!

Laksh

Back