Power for 1 IDE device

macxonly

Registered
:confused:

I am building my own firewire drive using a firewire-to-ide bridge and an IDE cdrw drive. I want to also build a custom case for this, but I have one draw back and that deals with the power supply. Where can I find information on how to power a single IDE device? Any help would be greatly appreciated, and feed back welcome.

As you probably know, there are 4 cables. The two cables in the middle are minus for the outer cables which are +5 and +12 volts DC. Use a voltmeter on a power supply cable inside a computer (when it's powered on, of course) to find out which cable is which.
There is probably a label on the CDRW unit where the power usage is mentioned, so you can find out how big trafo you need :)

Are you suggesting building a power supply? I have no idea where to begin with the any electrical equipment (kind of ironic considering I am a second-year Computer/Electrical Engineering major ;-). Is there any place I could potentially buy a power source? Are there any sites where I can find information that may help?

I had the original idea of using a pc case with the built in power supply, but that is to big. Now I would like to build a case using Plexiglass, but the power source issue is the only thing holding me back. Is there a place where I can purchase a smaller power supply with support for only 2 IDE devices? I would like it as small as possible ;)

Thanks for your help!

Back