power mac G4 prob

vasoula

Registered
so you guys this is my problem :
I have mac G4,and while i was using it there where several power cut offs and something happened to my mac.
At the beggining i would try to turn it on and a qustion mark would appear(wich means reinstall the os).But now i turn it on and it doesnt startup
and the screen doesnt even turn on...
Btw the hard disk keeps making screeching sounds every time i turn it on

what should i know

Try holding down Commandd-Option-P-R after the Macintosh startup chime when you turn it on. Hold it down for about 3-4 chimes and then let it go. See if this resolves the problem.

If not, turn off the Power Mac G4 and open it up from the latch on the side. towards the section of the logic board closest to the case, you'll see a little battery. Next to that battery is a button. Push that button once for no more than one second! Close it up and start up the Mac. This procedure is called resetting the Power Management Unit and should be done as a last resort.

I guess I should have kept reading. If the hard drive is making a weird screeching sound, then it's physically gone. You might try using DiskWarrior but I think it's beyond this point. It might be time to purchase a new HD. :(

I second that. Screeching hard drives are tough to come back from. Are you sure it's the hard drive though? Could it possibly be a fan? Can you boot to CD/DVD and see the hard disk in disk utility? That's the ultimate test. If you can't see the hard disk in disk util at all, you're probably toasted. Sorry to hear it. One thing you might consider for the future is a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply) with a battery for your whole setup to smooth out power issues like that.

One characteristic sound of a failed hard drive, at least on a Powerbook(mine did that) is a metallic "tock" "tock" "tock"; sort of like the sound a pendulum clock makes.
Anyway, the symptoms you describe do, indeed, point to a failed hard drive.

Back