Power Mac with intel Chip: When can I buy one?

Akkarin

Registered
Can anyone tell me the approx date I should expect to see a Power Mac with an Intel chip inside on the Mac web site to buy?

I hope it is not too much longer I want one to repalce my Mini. I have out grown it in only a couple weeks. :D

I don't want an iMac although they do look very nice.

Thank You! :)

I think the guess is that it will probably be the last Mac to be migrated over to the Intel processor, so you are probably looking at MacWorld San Fran 2007 in January. Maybe later, but Apple seems to be moving faster than they let on, so I doubt it.

dmetzcher said:
I think the guess is that it will probably be the last Mac to be migrated over to the Intel processor, so you are probably looking at MacWorld San Fran 2007 in January. Maybe later, but Apple seems to be moving faster than they let on, so I doubt it.

Interesting estimate, seeing as Apple have stated that all their Macs will be Intel by the end of 2006.

lol. Straight from Steve Jobs mouth... "by the end of 2006."

So... I say... sometime between now... and then. :D

I personally think that Apple will create a "Mac Pro" when intel's ready with the desktop processors based on the Yonah's architecture, i.e. Conroe. This should be around MW in July, although Apple has been absent last year in Boston.

Conroe is expect around Q3. But Apple may wait for the 64-bit Merom.

I thought Conroe was 64-bit. Isn't Merom the mobile version of the NGMA? And then Woodcrest the server version?

I thought Merom is just the next version of Yonah with 64bit extensions, Conroe would be the desktop version of that, Woodcrest the server version. If I'm right, Merom would go into the MacBook Pros, the iMacs and the Mac minis (maybe the iBooks/MacBooks, too) whereas Conroe would go into the Mac Pros and Woodcrest into the Xserves. From intel's roadmap, that seems quite clear to me. Oh, I'm right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Next_Generation_Microarchitecture ... ;)

Same time frame as Conroe... I guess Apple will want to stay on top of intel's curve, i.e. they don't want to be second or third to announce notebooks based on new intel processors... Or so I hope. But this thread's about the desktops. ;) ... I actually wonder about the desktop cases... The huge G5 thing isn't needed anymore, now (well, "then", I mean...) that we don't need 9 fans for a normal desktop computer...

I don't know what is conroe or yonah, but as long as pro video cards like
Nvidia's Quadro is available as an option, I'll get one.

RGrphc2 said:
can we say 2TB of Harddrive space RAID?

That's what I'd want - but I doubt if we'll get it!

Shookster said:
So no-one thinks they may be unveiled at NAB in April?
I'd like to think so, but if Conroe is not scheduled until Q3, there'll be no new PowerMac till Q3.

Unless they'd use one of the older-architecture intel processors. And I'd like to think they won't.

with respects to what fryke said about the case design, i'm really dissapointed with the lack of.... any change in the case designs so far, the most drastic being that someone sat on the 15" powerbook to make a macbook pro... these are 2-3 year old designs now....

but i admit they are very good designs, but i was always hoping, excited to see what Ive and his team would come up with being as they set their task to be so difficult...

I guess they want the cases to state that even with intel processors, those boxes are still very much Macs. They look and act the same, only with a faster heart.

fryke said:
I thought Merom is just the next version of Yonah with 64bit extensions, Conroe would be the desktop version of that, Woodcrest the server version. If I'm right, Merom would go into the MacBook Pros, the iMacs and the Mac minis (maybe the iBooks/MacBooks, too) whereas Conroe would go into the Mac Pros and Woodcrest into the Xserves. From intel's roadmap, that seems quite clear to me. Oh, I'm right: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Next_Generation_Microarchitecture ... ;)

HA! I knew it! This is why I will wait before I get my new Intel iMac. I suppose we'll be seeing alot more updates now, and more often too, due to Intel's new releases and surly Apple won't want to be left behind.

Back