Power Mac with intel Chip: When can I buy one?

Quietly said:
Interesting estimate, seeing as Apple have stated that all their Macs will be Intel by the end of 2006.
You are correct. In the last Intel Mac mini announcement, I believe, he said exactly that. I had forgotten about that part of the announcement. "Interesting estimate", I assume, was an attempt at being a smart-ass. Seeing as you like to point things out, I thought I'd point that out for you. Try not to be so obvious about it. :)

In any case, it was a simple mistake, I'll retract my previous statement, and beg forgiveness from both you and the Macintosh gods for ever (1) forgetting what The Great Steve said in an announcement, and (2) for misquoting the same.

Smart-Arse actually :)

Steve first stated that all Macs would be Intel in 2006 when launching the new iMac & MacBook Pro. So he's now said it twice!

I think it's safe to say that there's still a while to go. While Apple are making good progress with their complete product line overhaul, I think the new Power Mac will have something leaps and bounds over what's currently being offered in MacBook Pros, iMacs and Mac Minis.

Well pre-production models of the conroe (the 64-bit desktop successor to the Yonah) are out, and they have been tested against the Athlon FX 64. Wow...can't wait till these things are in the new powermacs.

test

i also read those benchmarks. conroe seems to be a bloody gaming chip, not a workstation chip, apparently - did you you see how the athlon still thrashed it in media encoding - this is what we want, not 20% better performance in games we can't play...

20% compared to what exactly, Lt.? ;) ... We'll have to see how the conroes compare to the G5, really, and my guess is they'll do just fine indeed.

i was talking about the benchmark linked at the bottom of the previous page, which guns the Conroe against the current fasted Athlon. and shows that conroe kills it. i misread the benchmarks (media encoding, lower figures are better.... duh....).

i want a conroe system.

Back