power of administrator ?

fran1942

Registered
Hello, I am running my OSX 10.3.9 system as administrator. I am setting up other accounts for other people, however when I am logged in as administrator I cannot change other peoples ownership permissions on their files etc.
I thought that as administrator I would automatically have the right to do this.
Can someone please clarify. Sorry for this newbie question.

(as administrator do I not have complete power over other ordinary user's files ?)

Well, Mac OS X (and Ubuntu Linux) has a three tier level of accounts:

- root (or 'God Mode') which is initially disabled
- administrator; with extended rights, and the ability to temporarily raise to the level of root if necessary
- users; "mere mortals"

Administrator accounts are limited in that they can't access or modify the data of other users. Normally, they don't need that right.

The easiest way to get around the adminstrator limits are:
- enable the root account and log in as root
- use 'sudo' , 'sudo -s' , 'sudo su root' or 'sudo su -l root' in Terminal

Most likely, you are trying to edit their accounts while they are logged in. Log them out, go back to your account, and in the accounts pane of system preferences, make sure the lock at the bottom of the window is unlocked. If it is locked, then click it to authenticate. You should then be able to Edit any and all accounts.

Cheers!

Whoops! misread your post..

Sorry, thought it was a really noob question.

ANyhow, in the finder do a get info on something you want to change, and set it at teh bottom under ownership and permissions.

Back