Power Supplies in Macs

egon

Bounder of Adventure
I recently read that iMacs bought in the US come installed with a 120V power supply. This is quite a change for Apple. In a world of region specific DVDs and now printer cartridges, why now the power supply? Why is Apple doing this? I recently bought my G5 in Los Angeles, but first turned it on here in Munich, with no problems at all, as I know it came with a 110V-220V power supply. Perhaps cost is a factor, or did some idiot behind a desk come up with the brilliant idea of people blowing out their power supplies and being forced to buy new ones?

Any news or ideas on this?

Actually the first Gen iMac G5 was the only CPU from Apple in recent years that does not have an international power supply. In the US and Japanese market it was sold with a 110V only PSU, but everywhere else it came with an international one. One possible explanation is that 110V PSU generates less heat, and since overheating is an issue in those computer, Apple might want to do everything they can do reduce heat output.

I checked the spec on the second Gen iMac G5 this morning, and it comes with an international PSU in the US. Perhaps too many people blew their shinny iMacs up. :)

It just scares me, because living here in Apple/exchange-rate-expensive-land, it's much cheaper to buy things in the US. Plus, the man who came up with the DVD region encoding idea needs to be lined up against a wall and tickled to death, as the idea seems to be spreading....

Back