Power-up issues G3 Powerbook

bryphotoguy

Registered
Hi-
I purchased a G3 Powerbook (a Wallstreet II) and it came without a a/c adapter. so I used a YO-YO adapter that works on my iBook clamshell. As soon as I plug it in (without hitting the power button) the light will power on and the fan will run. After two or three seconds it will just power off. Without disconnecting it, I hold the power button and it makes the Mac chime but nothing else happens.
I took out the HD and found that it was faulty. It clicks severly and shows the OS9 question mark folder on start-up on my clamshell. I haven't tried a disk format on it.
I am wondering if buying the right a/c adapter might fix the problem or if it will be just a waste of money. I'd like to get it to work so I can sell my clamshell. I bought the Powerbook for $70 with shipping on eBay. I guess I could part it out for equal to cost possibly?
Please HELP!!!
Thanks!

Bryan

Hello; Your wallstreet should be ok with a yo-yo adapter.I used one on my wallstreet for a couple of years with no problems,If you can, check the ac jack in back of the book.They have a habit of coming loose from the circuit board and have to be resolderd. next try to reset the pmu. Press the shift-fn-control-power keys,wait 5-10 seconds and hit just the power key.If this will not bring it back to life,then most likley the pmu is shot. You can replace it but you would be better of parting it out and trying to get some money back.

good luck;arrowone

Back