PowerBook 15.4", when? Can't wait...

iscaro

Italian Cool Mac User :-)
I decided a few days ago that I'm going to buy a PowerBook, my first laptop... I want a good one...

Well, 12" is too small and is missing a few things for me... 17" is too expensive and I don't need all that screen space... but it is really good!!!

My choice is the 15"... but it is missing a few nice things now... Airport Extreme, Bluetooth and maybe even the nice 17" keyboard...

I'm waiting for a new one and then I'm going to get one! :D

When??? :confused:

Ciao ;)

Hey there iscaro
I'm in the same position.....
I asked the guy at the Apple Store in Minnesota, he said sometime early fall......bummer

Originally posted by frog_always
Hey there iscaro
I'm in the same position.....
I asked the guy at the Apple Store in Minnesota, he said sometime early fall......bummer

That's just a guess. Apple employees generally, except from the ones who are actually developing the product, should have no more knowledge about Apple product release dates than others.

But, the 12" is a really nice machine, too :) You should really try one ;)

You won't have to wait that long. The Powerbook Titanium 15" was last updated on November 6th. Apple usually keeps a 6 month upgrade cycle (approximately). That would put an upgrade due sometime in April, which is just a couple of weeks away.

Apple could push back a release for any number of factors, but the tell tale sign is usually how many units are in the pipe. If early April comes and supplies of the 15" Powerbook are constrained, chances are the new one will be introduced soon afterwards...

I heard something about the 15.4 inch screens (this is just an old rumor :b we all know about rumors huh) and the 17 inch screens being made by the same manufacturer and the reason for the 17 inch delay was screen related so once the 17 inchers started shipping the new 15's would be right around the corner. So we could see them very soon! BUt don't get your hopes up.

I've seen the 12" and it is nice, but it is small... and limited... too...

Well, I do not want a compromise... I've just lost my Ducati 7 MOnths ago because of a car that hitted me on the freeway... now is not good to fix... too expensive and the bike was only 3 months old...

I'll wait enough... but not too much...

I want one cause I really like the idea...

Have fun...

Greetings from Italy ;)

Ciao

you may be waiting a little while, as others have said.

i know you said the 12" is too small for what you want, but it really is a nice machine. you should go play with one at an apple store if you have one near you.

but, since it is a rather pricey investment, if you really don't think that suits your needs, you may have to wait till late summer/early fall to get an updated 15" powerbook.

No, really, the 12" is a REALLY nice machine. People aren't just saying it - in my experience it is the best laptop Apple have produced. Powerful, great keyboard, perfect finish, great connectivity, dvd-burning and extreme portability make this a powerful little tool.

The 15"'s are a superb machine - but if portability is an issue then they're just too big. They also flexed too much, but the Aluminum should fix that.

- Apple still have a reasonable amount of 15" stock.
- They will announce a 15" after the 17" has sold a decent quantity - since they're competing products.

If you need a machine now, you won't be dissapointed in the 12 inch.

Well, I know someone who has the 12"... it is nice, I've seen it, but it is small...
The guy told me that with Airport is not really good cause of the antenna...

I don't really need a small portable machine... I want one taht I can carry around with me... and do some graphic work on it too...

Apple cannot leave the 15" this way too long!!!
It is not goo when they have a small and a big one with bluetooth and Airport Extreme... and cannot talk with the 15" in a GOOD way...

Apple cannot wait to sell 17"s before upgrading... there is no difference now except for the screen, the keyboard, Airport and Bluetooth... who cares about it? I just one a GOOD 15" with the 2 stupid thing I need like Airport Extreme and Bluetooth, but a good screen too!!!

See you...

Don't expect the 15.4"'s AirPort reception to be any better, though. You can buy now or wait, those are your options.

The screen on the 12" is below the quality of the 15" and of course the 17" when it comes out. Bad in enough for my tastes that I would not consider it.

If screen sharpness/brightness/quality is a concern for you, don't get the 12" without looking at it at the store first!

15" Airport reception is better... that's what told be a 12" owner that is using 15" too with many people in the same place...

If I had to buy it now... well, 15" anyway... I'm just waiting not to waste the opportunity to buy the new one soon...

That's all... and it is some money too....

I would go out and buy one tomorrow!!!

But if a new one comes out in a week or also in a month.... then my happyness is going to stop really soon...

I want the best... an Apple PowerBook... and a new and good one...

STOP :D

I'm waiting to make the switch from my POS Compaq Presario laptop to the new 15.4 Albook.

Please may it come soon!!!!!

Originally posted by iscaro
15" Airport reception is better... that's what told be a 12" owner that is using 15" too with many people in the same place...

I had a 15" TiBook, and reception was bad. I fixed the antennae (some tip you can get somewhere) and it got much better. And then I replaced it with my iBook. And the distance that I could go away from my BaseStation, like, DOUBLED.

But what I meant wasn't the old 15", I was talking about the new one. The antennae will also be inside the Alu package and I guess they'll be about the same as in the 12 or 17 model. That's why I meant not to expect better AirPort reception than in the 12". I _thought_ I heard the AluBooks' were better than the TiBooks' antennae, though.

Well, I don't really need one right now, but I want one... I can't wait much....

I could go out and get one, a 15", right now, but I don't want to see a new one in a week or two, or even in just a month from now!!!!!! Cause then I could have waited...

And I think the new one will be a little faster, maybe a little bigger... and will have good things I don't really need now, but will be good in the future if I want to keep it a couple of years... like FW 800, Bluetooth and Airport EX...

Just tell me if it could be just two or three weeks away or if I can get one now and stay happy :D

Ciao, and thanks!!! ;)

The salesman at the Apple Store told me that wireless reception was much better on the plastic iBook than on the metal PowerBooks. He said the metal causes interference.

Is this true?

Yes and no. While the metal can cause interferance, the Titanium causes more than the Aluminum. Also, Airport Extreme I believe handles interference better. So it is possible, on an Airport Extreme Base Station, to get range from a 12" or 17" PowerBook that is equal to or better than the range of an iBook.

Back