PowerBook 15.4", when? Can't wait...

Well, I really would like to buy one now... a 15" now is a good machine, but I don't really need it right now... and it is money anyway...

I think I'll wait to see all the other things Apple is planning for us...
And I'll buy a new one as soon as the 15" comes out with something new...

Ciao :D

Ro

I was in the apple store today and played around with one of the new 12s and the thing I hoticed most was the feel of the aluminum. It is either hot or cold because it conduct heat so well. Either it is transerring heat to you or away from you at a good clip.

Titanium does not conduct heat as well so it tends to stay a more middle of the road temperature. Not too hot or too cold.

Just another rationalization to keep me happy with my TiBook. ;)

-Eric

Originally posted by lurk
I was in the apple store today and played around with one of the new 12s and the thing I hoticed most was the feel of the aluminum. It is either hot or cold because it conduct heat so well. Either it is transerring heat to you or away from you at a good clip.

Titanium does not conduct heat as well so it tends to stay a more middle of the road temperature. Not too hot or too cold.

Just another rationalization to keep me happy with my TiBook. ;)

-Eric

What model have you got? My 550 MHz gets around 60-70°C when doing heavy AltiVec work :eek:
And the speakers and the fan has stopped working, so I'll send it in for service :p

I just played around with the 12" powerbook and I like it. It has a few drawbacks, no PC-card slot and only 640mb ram max. But one thing that I noticed was that the 12" screen isn't as good as the 15" powerbook, looked fuzzy next to the 15" and that's too bad because if it wasn't for that it would have been a great computer over all. The keyboard is great, much better feel than with the old kind found on the 15" powerbook and the size is perfect if you need a laptop to carry around alot.

a presto

Viktor

Well, memoory is not a problem anymore... they started shipping 1Gb memory chips for portables now... and they should work ok with 12" PB...

Anyway... I'm here and I'm waiting for the new 15"... that's all...

I'll buy one as soon as it comes out... :D

Ciao

I thought about getting the 12" pb. Being a designer though - 1024 x 768 is not as great as far as real estate of your screen is concerned. Is there some (hack?) mod that allows you to override the display settings? (At least one up a notch? 1152 x 870?) If there was one - I'd get a 12" pb.

drustar... there is no "hack" that can add pixels to a display. they are either there, or they aren't, and in the case of the 12" it only has 1024x768 available. are you refering to a program that would creat a more expansive virtual desktop?

The screen is one main reason why I'm not getting a 12" now... well L3 cache is another...

It's a really nice system! I've seen it and had one on my laps...

Get one if you like it and if you can bear it...

If you have a screen at home, you can link it and have 2 Monitors!!!! :D That's good!!!

Anyway... it's up to you... a few months ago there where only 1024x768 iBooks and 15" Powerbooks.... and screen was a big difference....

Ciao ;)

mightyjlr, i guess i'm referring to a hardware mod of some sort. isn't it the video card that determines how many pixels to disperse on the screen?

i don't know. i wish apple made the screen resolution for the 12" larger. :(

Resolution on the 12" is not bad... almost too little!!!

On the 15" they could have more....

12" is not so clear as the 15"... immagine with higer resolution!!! Not so easy and good to work with... :confused:

Originally posted by drustar
mightyjlr, i guess i'm referring to a hardware mod of some sort. isn't it the video card that determines how many pixels to disperse on the screen?

The hardware mod would mean to replace the screen with a 12" screen that has more pixels.

TFT displays like the PowerBooks and iBooks have, have a fixed number of pixels available, each one has RGB, and while you can go to a lower resolution by interpolating, going higher isn't very good, because you'll lose information.

With CRTs, this was/is a bit different.

I think the iBook 12" and PB 12" shouldn't go to a higher resolution, unless they add a 13" widescreen option that would go 1152*768.

Originally posted by fryke
I think the iBook 12" and PB 12" shouldn't go to a higher resolution, unless they add a 13" widescreen option that would go 1152*768.
I guess I'm just left with one option: Wait for the 15.4" powerbooks.

Originally posted by drustar
I guess I'm just left with one option: Wait for the 15.4" powerbooks.
There is one other option: The 12" PowerBooks can support external monitors up to 1600 x 1200. You can continue to use the 1024x768 LCD as well, so in your office, you can get plenty of real estate.

That's what I'm doing with my iBook, actually. I don't need more pixels on the road...

Only a few weeks away? :D

This is what I really hope even though I will wait a little to buy one... you know, money :rolleyes:

Anyway... a month or a little more amybe, but that's ok for me now...

Hope it will be really nice!
Like the 12" but a little better (not only faster, bigger... and cooler...) :eek:

See you... ;)

MOSR has today restated that the 15.4"s are only waiting for the Ti's to disappear from the shelves... However, I think Apple has an appeal problem here. It seems to obvious that the Ti's will be replaced soon for potential buyers to actually buy them. Guess another price reduction is needed. :p

Ok, now we have a 900Mhz G3 iBook combo for a lot less than a Powerbook... and it works really good....

What do you suggest now??? :)

Wow, (more than) a month ago I saw this thread and was in the same position as iscaro. I really want a new 15" but I don't want to be outdated within a month. Looks like I could have bought it then and not worried about a new one being introduced this whole time. Now I'm no better off, should I go for it or wait?

Back