Powerbook 15"- afraid to shut off- this is a good one

Fisch3Ball

Registered
Howdy guys. You're in for a treat.

So I still have this powerbook under warranty, just ran Disk Utility, repaired permissions, keep it clean etc. I've had some big problems in the last 24 hours.

I was trying to download a work email when the thing froze- touchpad and all- so I did a hard restart, only to get a black screen upon restart and no chime. It wouldn't go gray, show an apple startup or anything. I reset the battery, drained the PMU, zapped the PRAM (I think I did, as there was no chime it's hard to tell). Nothing.

Suddenly, one try, it roars to life- I back a couple things up, then it goes to sleep and doesn't wake up again. Ugh.

Hours later I tried again and long story short is, it's up. I've been backing up like a madman and started doing some web research on what's going on. I'd gladly take it to the Apple Store down the street, but this is definitely a send-away job, not a Procare job, and I've got a ton of work to do.

I've disabled sleep mode and I'm basically waiting for this thing to die again, and I'm pretty worried that if I shut her down, she won't come back on. Does anyone have any idea what's up with this powerbook?

Thanks!

Have you attempted to startup from your System disk, run Disk Utility to repair disk?

My favorite repair utility is Alsoft's DiskWarrior. Saved by bacon many times!

I don't know if this will help, but I have been having a similar problem with my g4 (running osx tiger). Sleep mode was coma mode - it would never wake up. It seemed especially if I moved it, it would freeze up - a hard boot would result in a black monitor, though I could head the hd, rom etc working. Other times I would shut it down, then it would not boot - somtimes for weeks at a time. As I had been given the system by a friend, I hadn't put anything more than a few gigs of mp3 files on it, so I wasn't too worried.

Anyway, I posted here a couple of times, and got a couple of ideas. After mixing and matching, I ended up doing this.

1)The next time the system decided arbitrarily to start, I zapped the pram,
2) I reinstalled the os completely wiping out everything else on the hd.
3) Up loaded all the latest updates from mac
4) I went into the power managmeent and set all the sleep commands to never
5) reinstalled my application software

I don't know which, if any, or all of the above made the difference, or even if it has. I only know this:

1) I can put the system to sleep manually and wake it with no problem
2) I can turn the system on and off with no problem

At least for the moment. Please let me know if this helps.

S

Back