Powerbook 15" Aluminum

Tamino

Registered
I have two Powerbook 15" Aluminum laptops. Both are running 10.4.5.
I have a problem with one and want to wipe it clean and start fresh. I put the Tiger DVD in, it booted but locked up during "Starting Mac OS X..." I figured maybe the DVD was bad so I put it in the other powerbook and it started up fine. So I figure the DVD drive in the unit is bad so I Target disk the powerbook and boot up the other powerbook via the DVD and install the OS on the Targeted drive. Everything goes well until I reboot.

When the unit boots it locks up at the same spot. So now I'm thinking there is something wrong with the system. I go to work and try the same thing on another powerbook 15" Aluminum and it does the same thing.

Apparently there is a difference in Firmware between the two laptops. I don't have the original Restore Discs for either of the two newer (problematic) powerbooks.

Any idea of how to get around this or should I just order the original restore dics from Apple?

I am not aware of any firmware for the aluminum PB. You can check Apple's web sites for information on your specific model! What kind of install are you trying? A total erase install is best, especially if you have trouble with the file system. Additionally, on the PB you are trying to install, take out any third party hardware adds-ons, if you have any!

Back