Powerbook battery charged, but not working.

twister

Howdy
I have a PowerBook 667 and the battery has long since zeroed out. I thought it was just dead until I bought a new battery. The new one came with a 68% charge but it doesn't work any better.

The computer knows the battery is there, but it doesn't charge. Unplug the computer and it goes dead. It's like it knows it's there, but the computer doesn't use it.

Any ideas on what I may be able to do to get some battery working again?

CoconutBattery Report
3526376_3981b4cc83_o.png

Are you using the original charger? iBook chargers may work, but they use a lower voltage, and may not charge.

I'm guessing that this is either a bad logic board or a bad charger. The battery is new, and this doesn't seem like an OS issue. If the charger is good (test?), then there's some sort of disconnect between the charger and the battery. The charger plugs into the logic board, so that would be the most likely thing to fail, unless there's a disconnect from the logic board to the battery. Replacing the logic board on a TiBook isn't too hard if you are comfortable doing that, so if that is the issue, you can find a board on eBay or iFixit ($299), and replace it yourself.

Thanks for the info. It's the original charger as far as I know. I never changed it.

It sounds like it's a good time to find a new laptop. ;) However, my wife would never go for that.

Back