PowerBook Battery Cover

I think I inquired about that a couple weeks ago and someone replied saying that the iBook won't even run without the battery installed. I haven't thought to test to see if that is true or not.

Apple recommends not to use the iBook plugged in all the time, but they are unclear as to why they recommend this. What I wonder is: is it the fact that the batter is not being used or that it is being constantly charged that degrades the lifespan of the battery? I wonder if the battery is fully charged, does the computer bypass it alltogether? I would think not, but what do I know about beer? The impression I get from the apple recommendations is that it is not particularly ideal to have it fully charged or discharged for long periods of time, long being defined as approximately 1 month. Therefor, what I would assume is that if you're going to use it almost always plugged in, then just unplug it every couple days. Ie. get into the habbit of using the battery every so often...

of course, this last all presupposes that it is not possible to use the iBook without the battery. I think I will check that when I get home.

Now then, to answer your question about a cover, I suppose you could just buy a dead battery, gut it, and use that. heh.

Sorry, drustar, I read that Applecare article entirely and can't see any reference to removing the battery. Why were you wanting to remove the battery?

Long Term Storage
If you don’t plan on using your portable for a length of time, for example, if you manage an iBook lab at a school that’s not in session over the summer, Apple recommends that you remove and store the battery with a 50% charge. If you store a battery when it’s fully discharged, it could fall into a deep discharge state, which renders it incapable of holding any charge. Conversely, if you store it fully charged, the battery may experience some loss of battery capacity, meaning it will have a shorter life. Eject the battery from your PowerBook or iBook and store it at the proper temperature. (See “Notebook Temperate Zone.”)

That is directly from this link: http://www.apple.com/batteries/notebooks.html

I guess I misread. I kinda jumped the gun there. If I were to store my PowerBook and not use for 2-3 months time, then I remove the battery. Sorry all.

Why would I want to do that anyway - I can't be away from my computer no less than an hour. :)

Back