PowerBook G3/400MHz Lombard freezes

walto

Registered
In the last several weeks my PB G#/400MHz Lombard has experienced variable freezing events from start-up and from forced re-boot (control-apple-power). These episodes have been increasing in frequency and in down time. Consequently, productive time (if I remember to save the work before the freezing episode hits) is continually shrinking. Freezing occurs at variable times (before chime; grey screen; grey screen with gear; grey screen with apple and gear; GUI aqua screen; GUI aqua screen with gear; desktop; desktop with beachball; desktop with icons; desktop with icons and finder window; or fully operational (when sometimes I can get things done).

Recently it has exhibited some strange behaviour. While in grey screen phase, it has seemed slow (the HD does not "spin-up" to full speed). The apple logo does not appear (of OS X), then a floppy disc with a blinking ? appears (readable HD not found). Then the MAC smiley face icon appeared (of OS 9)! The machine then booted up from my 9.2.2 partition! I used the Apple Menu to select Change Start-up disc to go to my X.3.9 partition and was able to do several hours work in OS X. Resetting PRAM did not correct the problem. The next two times the boot from 9.2.2 partition occurred, I was unable to successfullly transfer to the X.3.9 partition.

Just before all this started, I had deleted some programs that I had not been using. YES, I repaired the disc and repaired permissions after the deletions. Anyone ever observe this sequence of events? Is the PRAM battery dead? or dying? Is the processor dead? or dying? If the latter, should I use this opportunity to upgrade to 433MHz or 500 MHz? If so which is the best for the Lombard?

Thanks for any and all help.

Walt
PB G3/400MHz Lombard, OSX.3.9, OS9.2.2, 80GB HD, 512MB RAM

Back