PowerBook G3 Anatomy

Factor41

Wishful Drinking
Hi all, not been round these parts for a while, but need a quick hand, if you would be so kind...

I'm getting a digital SLR soon along with a CompactFlash to PC Card adapter so that I can dump my pics onto my old PBG3 when the CF cards fill up.

Only problem is that having dusted off the old PowerBook, it's not really seeming up to the job. The battery's dead for one thing, but it also appears to need a new clock battery. Just had it open and can't see where this battery is! Anyone know where it goes, and what type it is? I'm not too fussed about pulling the thing apart to get to it, just couldnt see it at first glance. They do have them, don't they??!

Also, anyone know where I might pick up a replacement main battery in the UK for less than silly money. If this all goes awry I might just get a 12" iBook to do the same job, but I would hope that there would be a better (cheaper) option than that.

Cheers

Dave

Cheers Ceryl. Ahhh, just found a pic of it. Looks like a track-pad sized, flat thing with coin cells in. Right pain to get to aswell. Anyone had any joy replacing one of these or know what it would cost to get it done.

Or should I just get an iBook?!

You book is still a great machine. It would be well worth getting the battery replaced. :)

Only problem is that having dusted off the old PowerBook, it's not really seeming up to the job. The battery's dead for one thing, but it also appears to need a new clock battery. Just had it open and can't see where this battery is! Anyone know where it goes, and what type it is? I'm not too fussed about pulling the thing apart to get to it, just couldnt see it at first glance. They do have them, don't they??!

The backup battery on the Wallstreet is on the underside of the left palm rest, a replacement is running about $44 US. On the Lombard/Pismo it is just in front of the hard drive (towards the right palm rest and the right expansion bay), a replacement is running about $44 US.

The Wallstreet is a non-trivial procedure, the Lombard/Pismo isn't nearly as hard. And yes the batteries are physically different between the Wallstreet and the Lombard/Pismo models.

(note: prices based on current prices at www.pbparts.com)

Great stuff. That web site's just what I was after - just hope they deliver to the UK. It's a Wallstreet II I've got, but I've had it stripped down before so I should hopefully be able to do it again without killing it. Cheers guys!

Back