PowerBook G4 15" (FireWire 800) "white spot"

bobw said:
Apple has finally acknowledged the PowerBook G4 15" (FireWire 800) "white spot" problem in the form of a Knowledge Base article;

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86632

Thanks for pointing this out, I've started noticing this lately and wouldn't have thought to check the knowledge base. Maybe if this gets fixed I can get a display that actually sits level when it's closed. And now my battery isn't working either!

Giving apple a call tomorrow. :)

I don't think Apple was ever denying that there was a problem with the PowerBook screens -- it's just in Apple's best interest to make sure they know the EXACT problem and solution before talking about it. Just because they release a knowledge base article outlining the problem doesn't mean that they just recently "acknowledged" the problem. They just wanna be sure of the problem and solution before spreading panic. That's a common business practice.

The release of the knowledge base article just means that they've found a specific problem with the screen AND a definitive solution to the problem.

Sure, the employees at the Apple Stores would probably tell you there's nothing wrong... they're too low on the totem pole to say what's wrong and what's not with a newly released piece of hardware, but now they can say for sure if something's gone awry and the proper steps they need to take to remedy it.

It's not like Apple was ever ignoring the users with the white spots or telling them to take a hike because nothing was wrong.

I got mine 'Book replaced due to white sports and haven't had any problems yet. Turn around for sending it in and receiving a replacement was 1 week. I was VERY pleased with the results. Just thought I would pass this along.

mjs975s said:
I got mine 'Book replaced due to white sports and haven't had any problems yet. Turn around for sending it in and receiving a replacement was 1 week. I was VERY pleased with the results. Just thought I would pass this along.

Did your new display happen to latch any more securely than the original did? I still find the wobbling of the lid unexceptable in such an expensive computer.

Back