PowerBook G4 Crashes

Kappage

Registered
I recently purchased a PowerBook G4 it had 512mb ddr2 ram as standard so i went out and bought a 2gb stick for it.

After removing the 512mb stick and installing the 2gb stick it worked fine, and then it started to crash without anything being done, so initially i borrowed a known to be working stick of the ram and put that in and the errors keep coming up!?!?!

Even with the original stick it seems to be crashing for no apparent reason. Before i installed the new stick it was working fine the the 512mb stick, but she still does it with the original stick.

Any Ideas?

Thanks

It would be nice to know more specs on the machine besides just powerbook G4. But there wasn't a model of powerbook available that would take a 2GB chip. Most would support 2 1GB chips. But regardless some of the powerbooks had issues with the lower memory slot. So try the 512MB chip in both slots and see if it acts up in both slots or just one of the RAM slots for starters.

Machine Name: PowerBook G4 15"
Machine Model: PowerBook5,8
CPU Type: PowerPC G4 (1.5)
Number Of CPUs: 1
CPU Speed: 1.67 GHz
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 512 MB
Bus Speed: 167 MHz
Boot ROM Version: 4.9.5f3
Serial Number:
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

I have also tried the 512mb stick it both slots aswell

If you ran it long enough on a bad RAM slot it could screw up the the files on the drive as well. You might want to boot to the installers that came with the machine and run Apple Hardware test to see if there are any failures. I would stay away from testing the 2GB chip and just test with the 512 chip in both slots.

Back