PowerBook G4 freezes when internet disconnects, and unable to fix disc error.

TH1RT3EN628

Registered
i have two problems, and i'm hoping they're related.
over the past couple of weeks, my powerbook g4 has randomly frozen when the internet disconnects. i have comcast (broadband) and i'm using airport. sometimes when the internet goes down, which happens all the time with comcast, my computer decides it's going to freeze. i've searched around these boards for the past 30 minutes or so, and couldn't find much.
at first i thought it was aol instant messenger that was causing the freezes, since it was open every time it froze, but i closed it last night, and it still froze overnight. it doesn't seem to be associated with any program, unless it's the finder.
so on to the second problem. i've run disc utility and fixed the permissions, but was unable to fix a disc error for some reason (booting from the disc of course). i've also run tech tool pro 4, but it hasn't been able to find anything. does anyone have any ideas as to why it can't fix the error, and what i can do to fix it?
i have a powerbook G4, 1.5ghz, 1gb RAM, OS X 10.4.6.
i'm not sure what other info i need to post, if any, so please let me know.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Are you certain that "the internet goes down"? I've had DSL for several years and it fails about once a year for two or three hours - usually because some excavator driver has cut through a cable because he "didn't know was there".
<sigh>
If your connection really is so bad you should hound your ISP until they fix it.

I recommend you beg or buy another Mac and connect it direct. See if it gives any problems. If it doesn't, then test it using a wireless connection. If it's still OK then this indicates that the fault really is with your PowerBook.

By the way, I notice that your Shift key isn't working properly - especially with the letter "i". Is this another fault or are you simply too lazy to type properly? It makes your message harder to read. Makes it look as if you missed a word or two.

yes, i'm sure that the internet goes down, because everything stops loading and i have to reset the modem. i'm not going to buy another mac just to test a problem.
i don't capitalize anything because i don't have to. this isn't english class. if you have trouble reading it, that's just a shame. no one else has ever had that problem.
thanks for your response.

Are you using any of Comcast's software on your Macintosh (if they have a version for the Mac)? It's possible that their software might be the cause of the problem. Try trashing the software and reinstalling it if this is the case.

As for your hard drive, you might want to give DiskWarrior from Alsoft. This has worked for people when others haven't.

The last thing you can do is perform an "Archive & Install" installation of the operating system so taht you start with a fresh OS but your documents stay intact. Either way, backup your data....an extra ounce of prevention never hurts. :)

SatCure, I understand that you're frustrated but i think you're being a bit drastic. I've seen people do worse than this and not receive that much criticism over their grammar. And if it was a problem, it was done in a polite manner. To get angry about something as minute as this is futile.

In any case, TH1RT3EN628, let us know how it turns out once you try the above.

no, there isn't any comcast software on my computer, but i will give DiskWarrior a try. thank you for actually helping me.

Back