Powerbook G4 - Hard Disk Failure & Cannot Load Cd

marko1473

Registered
Hi there,

I'm relatively new (year-ish) Mac convert and enjoying it. That is, until recently.

My PB 12" first experienced a hard disk failure. I replaced the hard disk with a new, but now cannot load any CDs/DVDs in order to install Tiger.

Yesterday, I could load a DVD and the installation process started normally. However, I didn't have time to finish it, so I only started disk utility to check the new hard disk. Before switching it off, I ejected the DVD.

Today, for the last 4 hours, I'm trying to convince my machine to accept the DVD. However, it keeps rejecting it. I put a CD in the slot, push it gently (and not so gently) in, but it doesn't accept it at all.

As there is no OS, after switching the machine on, I get an image of a folder with happy face and question mark.

Any suggestions? Is there a magic key combination which would force PB to load a CD?

Thanks in advance and kind regards,
Marko

Now then,

There are a few things it could be. First and foremost it maybe when you replaced the hard drive one of the very fragile ribbon cables has either broken or come loose from the optical drive. Did you replace the drive yourself or was it a shop that did the deed for you?

I read in an apple repair document somewhere that resetting the pmu (power management circuit) can have an effect on the optical drive (I doubt in your case it will make a difference but you never know!). This is done by turning off the pb then pressing and releasing shift-control-option and the power key together. Wait 5 seconds and then turn it back on and see.

Was just gonna suggest running apple hardware test (like a plonker) till I remembered you aint got a dvd drive to use it on! Unless you know a generous soul who'll lend you an external drive?

Also, its probably not related but might help for future hardware problems,

reset the p ram (parameter ram) hold down apple+option+p+r on startup and let the mac chime 2-3 times

also reset open firmware by booting into open firmware apple+option+o+f and typing reset-nvram [return] then reset-all [return] at the prompt the type shut-down [return] to power down the mac

good luck & let us know!

Elliot

Hi Elliot and thanks for your quick reply.

Apologies for delay, but I was away for 10-ish days and had no Internet access. I was hoping to take my PB on the trip with me, but didn't as it was totally broken.

Anyway, let's get back to business. 2 weeks ago a hard disk failed. I then got a new one, but it didn't work neither. Yes, I did all the repairs myself (using pbfixit.com guides). All the time combo worked without any problems, that is, until one morning (the evening before it was working OK).

A few days ago I used Disk Warrior to fix my HD. It succeeded and I recovered all of my data :). Using friend's PB and firewire cable I installed Tiger on HD (the first/original one) and PB is now working quite fine.

Except for the optical drive. Of course, there is a possibility that one of the ribbon cables got broken/loose, but I doubt it. All the key combinations/suggestions didn't help.

How can I run a hardware test and see if combo is responding or not? How can I check that it's properly connected and it's getting its share of power?

I'm a bit reluctant to open PB again. At least, not yet. I want to use it as it is and run some tests in the meantime until I'm sure what the problem is.

Your comments are very appreciated.

Thanks again and kind regards,
Marko

Back