Powerbook G4 Monitor Problem

bizzo

Registered
i've had my power book since 2001 and have had no problems. suddenly last week the monitor blinked out, faded in and out, and finally blurred colors and swirled around (very trippy). when the monitor does work it is only a matter of time before it dies. sometimes i can see the apple behind a grey screen which eventually fades out, sometimes there's a lot of purple, sometimes there is a strip of vertical colored lines along the left side of the screen. sometimes it comes back if i restart the computer (anywhere from 1 to 20 times) but eventually dies again.
i've been told (by friends) there may be a problem with the monitor connection. do i need to take this in to a technician?

Which powerbook model is that? I know of some older powerbooks (not sure if even G3 books) which had a waggly contact between the gpu and the screen (as your friend suspected). A good technician can tell right away and it shouldn't be costly.
And welcome to the forum.

Hi!
It's a titanium G4. Thanks for helping me out! I guess I'm going to have to bring it in to the apple store. :( Might as well throw in some upgrades while I'm there. You wouldn't happen to know how costly it would be to put in a cdrw dvd player? right now it's just a cd/dvd player.

Back