Powerbook G4 temperature

rationull

Registered
I have a 1.5 Ghz aluminum PB G4 12" which I use for general web stuff, schoolwork, and programming. Recently I've been working on a realtime graphics app for a large school project. When the app runs it takes the CPU to full usage and thus raises the temperature of the machine quite a bit. After running for a while the CPU can get up to 130-140 degrees Fahrenheit.

Is this bad for the powerbook? I realize playing games and doing video editing and other high CPU tasks are common and probably do the same thing, but those seem like excessive temperatures for a such a small box.

What do you guys think?

Hi,

No, the PowerBooks generally run very hot. And if you're using high-end graphic programs it will definately chew up the machine. This is actually normal for both the PowerMac and PowerBook. What might help is setting the computer on a cold surface (table) or getting one of those laptop cooling units that can rest on your lap. They have little fans that help dissipate the heat.

Good luck.

Mine could cook an egg after a couple of hours of Photoshop!
Excessive heat does shorten the working life of components, but it is also a given with most laptops. I don't worry about it, but I do make sure that all of the air vents a kept clear of obstructions (& dust!)

Back