Powerbook G4 Wont Boot :(

utn

Registered
My Powerbook has been under the influence of a very strange problem lately. When it does boot and run, it works fine. But for example, when my powerbook has been on for a while and I restart, it refuses to work. The macintosh chime sounds and the CD rom makes its usual sound, then thats it. The hard drive does not spin up and the display does not turn on. I've tried resetting the PMU and the PRAM with no results. I have looked all over the internet to try to find a solution to my problem and no one seems to have the same thing happening. I have not upgraded anything in the computer like RAM or a new Hard Drive so it cant be related to new hardware. It is a factory spec 1.67 GHz G4 with 512 MB ram and a Hitachi 80 GB hard drive (I think only the Toshiba drives are plauged with defects). The only way I can get it to boot is if I remove the battery and AC adapter for an extended period of time, more or less for an hour.

Does anyone have any ideas as to whats going on with my computer?

Thanks in advance,
Scott

Have you tried removing the battery and running it off of AC power to see if it comes up? I know that with Mac notebooks, most of them use the power battery as the PRAM battery as well. So when that goes, so does the PRAM, and some Macs won't even boot without it (don't know if this last statement applies to the notebooks as well).

Back