powerbook G5..? when?

::sleepy::

I really wonder if there's any rumors about the up-coming (hope at least soon!!!) powerbook G5.
...and what is it going to be made out of? platinum this time?

chears

I remember some adds of certain Apple ppl telling it seems darn challenging right now to install a G5 in a powerbook. And seems we won't see a G5 until the end of this year, but Steve always managed to surprise us.. ;)
I would appreciate the case to be aluminium like the current ones. Titanium had to be finished and thus it was very sensitive to scratches. My brothers 12'' powerbook is almost one year old by now and still not even one scratch.
And once the G5 powerbooks are out, I am quite sure they won't cost any more than current alubooks. Pretty sure even!

Might also want to look at the PB chip thread - http://www.macosx.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44218 - in the macosx.com opinions forum.

I don't see a G5 (not a 970FX, anyway) in a PowerBook this year. However: What 64bit aware applications are you going to use in a PowerBook, anyway? I rather see Apple use an even better G4 processor this Autumn (more battery life at higher clock rate, please?) and a G5 in early 2005 (March or so).

Yes, a 1.6Ghz+ G4 would make me interested. At the moment, though, even the fastest Powerbook is just too slow for me to use, my work-supplied 1.4ghz Pentium M is about 50%+ faster for most things than the 1.25ghz books...

Tho I really want to run OS X + other apps!

No PowerBook this year, like fryke said... I don't ever remember Apple saying, "No," to something and then surprising us with a "Yes." I think if Apple says, "No," it means, "No."

I agree -- a G5 PowerBook right now would be nice also, but, I'm sticking to believing Apple at this point. It took them more than a year to get the G4 into a PowerBook, and the G5 is a much different processor with different cooling needs. My first-generation G4's heat sink can fit in the palm of my hand with room to spare -- not so with the G5, whose heat sink and cooling requirements are just too great to stick it in a PowerBook at this point. Plus, if Apple plans on keeping the very slim profile of the PowerBook, it may be the end of NEXT year that we see a G5 in a PowerBook.

We can hope and dream, but we always get slapped in the face by reality. It's like hoping we'll have magnetic levitation or affordable fuel cell cars by the end of December. Just a smidgeon outside the boundaries of reality, but forseeable in the future.

I would like to just see an upgraded processor in the powerbooks, a highly engineered G4 would be great, at 1.5 GHZ with low power consumption ! Quiet running and efficient I say, I don't need a monster in my notebook. Give me 6 hours of battery life and I would sell my house to get a powerbook...

1.5... 1.6... don't know about you, but those processor speeds (referring now to a possible G4 upgrade for powerbooks) sound pretty slow yet, specially taking in account the big performance gap in between the G5 and the G4, and the speeds obtained by processors made by Intel and AMD.

Hopefully, if they wanna keep up-to-date, they will release G4 at 2.0 GHz or more (of course, this is very very cheap speculation, but it would be the best for Apple - at least it is possibly easier than releasing a G5 powerbook). That is business strategy and I'm no expert. :eek:

But I am sure, apple would have to release the G5 powerbooks at a higher clock but the current G4 books. So, if the G4s go up to 2ghz, the first G5 powerbook should at least have 2ghz as well which should cause them even more probs. I think we won't see any G4 update and that the next will be a G5 >1.5ghz

Zammy-Sam said:
But I am sure, apple would have to release the G5 powerbooks at a higher clock but the current G4 books. So, if the G4s go up to 2ghz, the first G5 powerbook should at least have 2ghz as well which should cause them even more probs. I think we won't see any G4 update and that the next will be a G5 >1.5ghz

Hmm.

I'm thinking too about that. An underclocked G5 (1,33?) for the next PowerBook, so they can more easily overcome cooling problems. Is it really worth having a 1,33/1,55 G5 vs. a 1,33/1,44 G4? Specially taking in account that there's barely no 64bits optimised software around, and at this point I do not see a noticeable growth rate.

Plus, taking advantage of the higher bus rate for the G5 would be great, and improve processing. I would really like to have a G5 PB for the road so I can really do some great music recording/writing/editing without needing the big boy.

You are right guilly, it wouldn't be worth. But maybe things will change with tiger?! I have no clue if tiger is going to support 64bit or not. And when tiger will get 64bit, most of the iapps will be so too. Benefits? I don't think there will be any for a common user and those regular iapps. But it sounds very attractive to have a strong ibm cpu in the book instead of an old tuned motorola..

Though in many threads I said we won't be seeing a G5 till the end of 2006, I was wrong. I've talked to a few people at IBM and we definitely won't be seeing a 90nm processor in a powerbook next year. However, they couldn't assure me that some other mutation of some other chip besides the G4 may be in a powerbook or some other form of a portable mac. Until we get down to a 65nm processor and though they were hoping to hit that in 2005 who knows... Though right now IBM is working very hard to get something for the xbox by 2005(very doubtful)... and no they do not have a 65nm chip ready for them... and its embedded anyway so completely different from our G5s. However, Apple may have something up there sleeve that is a portable mac but not we have been accustomed to.

diablojota said:
Powerbook G5 -> NEVER!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!
Powerbook G6 -> Now that is a possibility.

What about an Intel PowerBook? :D

(However, no jokes. First rumours before the G5 appeared talked about a possible Intel powered Apple).

Back