Powerbook G5?

Dubsta

Registered
When is this supposed to be released? And how comparable will it be in price to the G4?

I plan to pick up a Powerbook G4 in like November...but if the G5 will be out around that time or soon after I will wait. What about the price...how comparable will it be to what the G4's are right now?

Thanks.

This has been brought up in many threads before. Try doing a search for Powerbook G5...
No news on this. Nor will it really become a hot topic again until at least January, but more likely April or May of 2005.
Nobody knows what it may contain other than the fact it will have a G5, most likely firewire, bluetooth, airport wireless card, USB 2.0, superdrive, and a LCD monitor.

I thought Jobs said that the G4 will be around for a really long time in Powerbooks, because of the serious technical hurdles of putting a G5 in a laptop.

Knowing how secretive Apple is with upcoming hardware, is it even worth guessing when they will release the new G5 powerbooks?

I'm already here, so I guess I'll blab about it.

Total speculation:

Soonest, most optimistic, yet somewhere in the realm of realism is first quarter 2005.

A more realistic, yet still optimistic time frame puts it at Summer 2005 announcement, shipping early Fall 2005. That puts it two full years after the G5 announcement in the towers, which is consistent with how long it took to get a G4 into a laptop. I think.

However, my own personal guess puts a G5 laptop on the border of 2005-2006.

isnt Apple going to reach a point with the G4 1.8, 2GHz where the power consumption and heat is comparable to a G5?

honestly i have no clue if my theory is true but at 2006, what are we going to expect from a G4 powerbook, 3GHz?

i predict a G5 powerbook sooner than later. basically i figure as the G4 gets faster and the G5 becomes more refined, its as if Apple is burning a candle at both ends. i imagine they'll be reaching a point of equilibrium real soon.

Afaik, the newer G4 processors actually dissipate less heat. The MPC 7448 will be quite a good notebook processor. Will be the part for the next round of PowerBook G4 according to my sources. It'll be announced and released this Autumn, so the timeframe for a G5 PowerBook would be first quarter of 2005 at the earliest.

I agree, though, with Kendall, that the point of equilibrium will be reached soon. But not for this 'round' of PowerBooks...

Didn't some ppl find hardware support for the upcoming G5 powerbooks in the recent 10.3.5 update? If we'll have to wait till next year, does that mean, 10.3.5 will be the last update till next year? If Apple is able to squeeze a G5 in a flat G5 iMac, then there is not much left for the G5 powerbook.. I support kendall with rather sooner than later.

No, there was no such finding in 10.3.5 code AFAIK. But new hardware doesn't need a new .dot.dot-system release. Usually, they just get a newer build number but the same version number. So Apple could or could not release 10.3.6 before the end of 2004. And probably will. Doesn't matter whether the PB G5 appears before or after.

No, there was no such finding in 10.3.5 code AFAIK. But new hardware doesn't need a new .dot.dot-system release. Usually, they just get a newer build number but the same version number. So Apple could or could not release 10.3.6 before the end of 2004. And probably will. Doesn't matter whether the PB G5 appears before or after.

fryke said:
Yes there was:
The Kernel-Extension "AppleMacRISC4PE.kext" contains references to two new PowerBooks: "PowerBook7,2" and "PowerBook7,1". The first generation of G5-Power Macs also had a "7" in its internal name, so this could mean that "PowerBook7,2" and "PowerBook7,1" could refer to G5-PowerBooks in 15- and 17- inch screen models.

fryke said:
Afaik, the newer G4 processors actually dissipate less heat. The MPC 7448 will be quite a good notebook processor. Will be the part for the next round of PowerBook G4 according to my sources. It'll be announced and released this Autumn, so the timeframe for a G5 PowerBook would be first quarter of 2005 at the earliest.

I agree, though, with Kendall, that the point of equilibrium will be reached soon. But not for this 'round' of PowerBooks...
Hi Fryke,

Could you post some details on the 7448? I can't find any on Freescale's website. What speed will it run at, what kind of cache, ect. Thanks!

Regards,
Marc

Back