Powerbook G5's? - If so, what do we want

H2OSX

iKnow (sometimes)
If the rumors are actually true about G5 ibooks/powerbooks- what would we want to see as new features? Ill start us off:

- First, Id like to see a much better graphics card in the whole series
- Second, a super drive that can burn + and - Dvd's and Cd's
- Third, something new and cool like the lighted keyboard when it came out
- Fourth, maybe a built in tv tuner type thing
- Fifth, a bigger hard drive - maybe 120 or around there
- Sixth, a built in card reader for sd etc. cards
- Seventh, some new and rly fast wireless card
- And of course - a shnitzel load of connections

Happy wishing -

Keep dreaming man. Never gonna happen and theyd never up the Powerbooks to the G5 chip AND the iBooks. Otherwise the powerbook wouldnt be the top o' the line book its supposed to be.

But yeah. Gimme better graphics, Lighted Keyboard, Big hard drive, lotsa RAM, and gigabit ethernet plus 802.11X support.

:)

H2OSX said:
If the rumors are actually true about G5 ibooks/powerbooks- what would we want to see as new features? Ill start us off:

Happy wishing -

if u want some feature at least make it sound realistic...

first i dont think there are any 120GB 2.5inch drives out there... only up to 100...

second we allready have superdrives in powerbooks.

third, there isnt anything faster than Airport Extreme out there right now for portables...

a screen with a higher resolution though... is something u can hope for...!

id like to see the screens matted with that antiglare coating that some new pc laptops have...that stuff is really cool.

Apple pioneers the market for fuel cell powered laptops. The laptops have a running time of a day, instead of the paltry 4-5 hours.

I'd like to see a built-in two sided mini scanner and printer, so you could forge currency in the denomination of your choice. Just think how fast this puppy would pay for itself!

I'd like to see 10 hours battery time. I'd like to see them run cool as a Pismo (ever since, PBs have been tooooooooooo hot). I'd like them to lose some weight. And gain some performance (processor, harddrives, graphics card, RAM, FSB, everything).

I HOPE they won't give them some kind of SD-card (etc.) slots, because 80% of people won't use them and 100% of those who're using those cards already have adaptors.

And way off (and I'm pretty sure Apple just won't do it) I'd like to see a subnotebook. G4 processor's fine with me, a 10-12" widescreen with a fine resolution and no internal optical drive (external available if you want one, don't have to buy it if you don't want to...). But, as I said, I don't see a subnote coming out of Apple any time soon, since they think their job's already done with the 12".

Yeah, then they'll start bitching and moaning about something else, like how the G5 PB is lacking something they think it should have that Apple never gave any indication it actually WOULD have.

I would like to see IBM and Apple use a processor that mimics the centrino technology. In short, better battery life would be one wish of mine. Another is just standard upgrades, faster HD, more ram standard, and 64 video card.
As far as design, not much change. The keyboard on the new model are excellent in my view.

I'm waiting for the XServeRAID-in-your-pocket : FireWire800 based portable storage with up to 12Terabytes of storage space. You just wear elephant pants with pockets the size of a small car..

Realistic

• Faster DVD burner (pref 8 times or more)
  • Keyboard and trackpad with better feel (I much prefer the feel of my Ti PB to the Al PB)
  • Digital audio out
  • Better battery life
  • Less weight
  • 802.11n
  • Updated BT
Unknown

• Digital video in (so you could use the PB display for a Mac mini/Powerbook)
  • Backlit keyboard and gigabit ethernet on the 12" PB. Bring the width of the 12" PB back to 1" or less.
Unrealistic

• At least two more trackpad buttons to use with Expose/Dashboard (it'll never happen, but I can dream :) )
  • Dual G5 processors (on all models :D )
  • Blu ray disc burner
Kap

H2OSX said:

Happy wishing -

I just want to be able to take out a Powerbook, press a button, and use it as a flotation device when the occassion arises.

I am not as ambitious.
Backlit keyboard and FW800 for the 12" PB.
Better video card with 128MB.
Reasonable heat levels; no higher than current power books, preferably lower.
On the 15 and 17" max out at 4GB of RAM.
On the 17" 2 battery bays.

Captain Code said:
I don't see how they could make a notebook without an optical drive. How would you load the OS?

Firewire or USB Drive? Of course OS X would be pre-installed so only an issue at upgrade for a home user.

Mephisto said:
I am not as ambitious.
Backlit keyboard and FW800 for the 12" PB.
Better video card with 128MB.
Reasonable heat levels; no higher than current power books, preferably lower.
On the 15 and 17" max out at 4GB of RAM.
On the 17" 2 battery bays.
Maxing out at 4 GB AFAIK is impossible for 32 bit (G4) processors, it would only be possible if using a 64 bit processor and the limit for 32 bits is 2 GB. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think thats the one

Back