Powerbook G5's? - If so, what do we want

DJ Rep said:
Maxing out at 4 GB AFAIK is impossible for 32 bit (G4) processors, it would only be possible if using a 64 bit processor and the limit for 32 bits is 2 GB. Correct me if i'm wrong but I think thats the one

Correct, this thread is about what we would want if the rumors about a G5 processor laptop are true. Given the assumption it is a G5 laptop, 4GB is possible.

fryke said:
I'd like to see 10 hours battery time."

My upgraded PowerBook G3 currently runs 10 hours on battery--that's with 2 batteries, of course.

That's way I cannot let these babies go--even though I already got a 500MHz PowerBook G4 and a 1GHz PowerBook G4.

I wish Apple could bring some of Pismo's functionalities and Ti-book cool factor back.

The design of the current PowerBook G4--mainly thanks to the poorly spary-painted keyboard--just totally turn me off.

They need to do something about the keyboard if they want me to upgrade to a new PowerBook from my Pismos and TiBooks.

Hmm... Had a TiBook and am using an AluBook now. Must say the keyboard looks better. "poorly spraypainted" must be a first impression... My keyboard exactly matches the look of the alu around it. And while my old Ti's keyboard looked VERY used after a year or two (which can be stylish on its own), my Alu's keyboard looks like new after a year.

Ya- i agree w/geo, we need some new cool lookin thing that will take a while for the pc's to copy :) We need the "cool factor" back - and ya batt life is a big issue Thnks for all the input guys and keep it comin!

What are the advantages of a 10" subnotebook besides size? Can they make the resolution better on such a tiny screen?

What's wrong, does everyone ride trains? :confused:

What I'd like to see in the next powerbook

• Better battery life. According to some reviews I've read the current Alu books reflect a reduced battery lifed compared to Ti books. Min of 3 hours of battery life while playing a DVD.
  • Integrated graphics (integrated into the chipset) to lower the power for people who want low power. Support for PCI Express for people who want more graphics performance on their notebook.
  • dual channel DDR2 400 RAM support (up to 4 GB, seeing it's a G5)
  • support for HD quality graphics (1920x1080).
  • triband wireless (802.11a/b/g)
  • support for UWB (wishful thinking, maybe)
  • SATA harddrives
H2OSX said:
If the rumors are actually true about G5 ibooks/powerbooks- what would we want to see as new features? <SNIP> -

fryke said:
"poorly spraypainted" must be a first impression... My keyboard exactly matches the look of the alu around it.

Dear fryke,

My point is exactly that--THEY DO NOT MATCH--and that's why it looks cheap. Just because two things share the same color do not mean they match because there are different level of shade, and yes, even in color.

I'm a news correpondent who love attending Apple Taiwan's press release.

Since the first time I was introduced to the Al-Book, I was like what-hell was-Apple-thinking? Three years after, I still hope Apple will not repeat the same mistake, making keyboards like that.

Thanks to these PowerBook G4s with poorly spray-painted keyboards, I got myself an iBook instead, even though they also have a design flaw. For those who are interested, pay attention to the keyboard, the right crack is larger than the left crack.

And thanks to Apple less than qualified design these years, I've been buying more second hand Macs than ever and been very pleased with them.

I'm now typing this reply with a PowerBook made in year 2000, with its CPU upgraded to a 900MHz G3. Surprising, with memory and HDD upgrade, it runs certain apps faster than 1GHz iBook as well as the TiBook. Not to mention, 10 hours of battery life. No PowerBook so far can beat this.

Anyway, thanks for reading.

I just wish one of the Apple guys will get to read this message we are sending them.

Dear georgelien: Please believe me they DO match here on my PowerBook.
I wouldn't have SAID it otherwise. And my eyesight is not bad or anything, I still work well as a graphics artist. :)

fryke said:
Dear georgelien: Please believe me they DO match here on my PowerBook.
I wouldn't have SAID it otherwise. And my eyesight is not bad or anything, I still work well as a graphics artist. :)

Fine, fryke.

Wouldn't want to challenge you anymore. After all, what's a man without his work, right? Okay, you win.

But they still don't match. Maybe yours do. :p

Given that two of the things on my wishlist have already been granted with the latest G4 PBs :D, I'm updating my list to:

Realistic

• Backlit keyboard, gigabit ethernet and decent graphics card on the 12" PB. Bring the width of the 12" PB back to 1" or less.
  • Keyboard and trackpad with better feel (I much prefer the feel of my Ti PB to the Al PB)
  • Digital audio out
  • Better battery life
  • Less weight
  • 802.11n
Unknown

• Digital video in (so you could use the PB display for a Mac mini/Powerbook)
Unrealistic

• At least two more trackpad buttons to use with Expose/Dashboard (it'll never happen, but I can dream :) )
  • Dual G5 processors (on all models :D )
  • Blu ray disc burner

Ceroc Addict said:
Realistic

• Faster DVD burner (pref 8 times or more)
  • Keyboard and trackpad with better feel (I much prefer the feel of my Ti PB to the Al PB)
  • Digital audio out
  • Better battery life
  • Less weight
  • 802.11n
  • Updated BT
Unknown

• Digital video in (so you could use the PB display for a Mac mini/Powerbook)
  • Backlit keyboard and gigabit ethernet on the 12" PB. Bring the width of the 12" PB back to 1" or less.
Unrealistic

• At least two more trackpad buttons to use with Expose/Dashboard (it'll never happen, but I can dream :) )
  • Dual G5 processors (on all models :D )
  • Blu ray disc burner
Kap

its funny how alot of you are bitching about how you want this or that. more memory capability, larger hard drives, better screen res. #1 most of you in here don't have your powerbooks maxed out to 2GB, on the 17inch model at least, so why do you care about more memory. Max out the book you have now and then bitch about not having enough memory capabilities. Besides, for what most of us do in here we don't need the 8GB capability in a notebook. If you need that 8Gb or even anything over 2GB you wouldn't be using a notebook in the first place. you would be using a dual processor and a nice cinema display. larger hard drive? buy an external! they're cheaper than internal and more reliable. i would rather have a 40GB internal hard disk and a 1TB external firewire 800 than vice versa. and as for screen res. thats understandable but the 17inch powerbook has amazing screen res. i'm really happy with my p'book. maybe i will up the memory to 2gb when i enter R.I.T. next year and i REALLY need it for my classes. as for now, i'm happy. the best thing about a g5 will be the processor, not the upgrades. i want powerbook line to remain slim and sleek like it is now. i don't want to sacrifice size for better performance right now. I think what they just came out with (the 1.67) is a perfect ratio from performance to size. lay off the powerbook g5. we'll be lucky if it comes before the end of 05.

CerocAddict said: "unrealistic: At least two more trackpad buttons to use with Expose/Dashboard (it'll never happen, but I can dream); Dual G5 processors (on all models); Blu ray disc burner"

I actually guess we _will_ one day see Blu-Ray burners, but it might take more time. Dual G5s: Heck, we first want one in that, m'k? ;) And those trackpad buttons you can achieve _today_ with SideTrack (www.versiontr...)

Back