Powerbook given up? PLEASE HELP... I'm panicing!

Remember: As long as you have not overwritten any of your data, they can quite likely be recovered from even a very damaged drive by professional services - not cheap, but it WILL work. They routinely recover data from drives that have headcrashed, been in fires, had bullits fired through them etc. You are likely not quite as screwed as you think, but (as a long-time developer AND a recent PhD) I do understand your fear.

I pretty much had the same thing happen when I would run any of perifs. But you are lucky getting an error code. I needed a new logic board and harddrive

Thanks for everyones input.
I will contact everyone i need to tommorrow and let you know the verdict.
It's just fairly worrying, everything pre sept05 is backed up onto cd and my ex HD but the current work for uni sept till now is finsihed but unmarked, if i lose it i'm in trouble. My bad, will learn vital lessons on backing up from this.
Plus money is an issue when it comes to getting it fixed.
I had such high views on apple.
I switched last year before uni (i'm on a graphic design course), love using a mac and being part of everything that comes with it but i can't help but feel let down by the hardware. Surely it shouldn't die this early. I was told these things were incredibly reliable. What have i done wrong?
Thanks again all.
Rich

Computers /are/ incredibly reliable—hardware-wise anyway. That only means that it feels extra unfair when you are the unlucky one :(

I have had two headcrashes and many software errors eat at my data through the years, and have learned bitter lessons from it. My first headcrash destroyed all records of my first business AND the source code for the main product. And the backup? Yes, I had one but the crucial disk had been used to download a game (Wing Commander, IIRC) from the University system :( Guess that will teach me!

Mac or PC: Harddrives /do/ fail, and you need to prepare for it, just like you need insurance if you take to the roads. Worse: The OS fails, or human error leads to disaster (which is much more common than hardware failure).

So you probably haven't done anything wrong—your luck just ran out :(

Back