Powerbook harddisk empty but full

Torjon

Registered
Since my husband is always "messing up" my mac when "playing" with iTunes, I wanted to transfer his iTunes files (13 GB) to our old Powerbook which has 28 GB capacity. I deleted practically all files on it, but it still has only 6 GB available. What to do? Where shall I look for the hidden gigs? Please help. I need my mac alone!

Sound as if he may have some big Apps on there. I would say check there first. Then if that don't help the Xcode Dev pack my have been installed if thats the case. You will need to do a archive reinstall of the OS and then trash that old system folder and the Xcode folder. That may take sometime. If you have fast mac and lots of RAM then it should not take that long. If you have a slow CPU and little RAM it may take as long at a half hours to get those folders gone.

Thanks for your reply! Actually the applications are less than 3 GB. As for the rest of your reply I'm afraid it went way over my head! (Don't know what Xcode is?). Could you try and explain again what I need to do. BTW this is an old PowerBook G4 (running on OS X 10.3.9).

Thanks for taking the time!
Torjon

If Xcode was really the problem, a folder called "Developer" would be sitting right by the Applications and System folder in your hard drive. Still, developer tools don't take up *that* much room. You may want to just cleanly install Panther, erasing all existing data.

If you have the original disks, it may be best to just do a complete re-install. You'll remove some junk that you wouldn't find otherwise, and be able to start fresh.

I'm with the trash can idea, you dont free space generally until you have emptied the trash of all those deleted files. another thing to consider is a full defragmentaion. I heavily fragmented hard drive can cause the system to 'think' that the drive is fuller than it really is.

Back