Powerbook Ip Trouble

Apteryx

Registered
Hello,

I've been searching the forums for an answer to this question but not finding one. I hope I'm not going to waste your time with something that's already been answered, but I don't think so.

I have a 3-year-old Powerbook Titanium, running Mac OS X 10.2.4. My wireless card is a Linksys WPC11 ver 3, and the driver is IOXperts 802.11. This combination has worked happily with our Airport network at home, since April this year. (Our stationary computer is a G5 with built-in Airport.) Yesterday, however, it stopped functioning, literally from one minute to the next, as I was browsing. The card still found the network, so for a long time I thought there was something the matter with my Internet provider. When I found that the stationary computer worked, I checked the Network Status in the Systems Preferences (sorry if these terms are not exact - I have a localized system). The green blob in front of "Ethernet adapter (en1)" had turned yellow, and the status message was, in translation, "The Ethernet adapter is connected, but has a self-allocated IP address and may not be able to connect to the Internet". Too right, it wasn't. I believe something like this has happened before, but then I think I fixed it by re-allocating DHCP; that didn't work in this case. I clicked "reallocate", the button grew grey for a few seconds and then the same DHCP address came up. When I rebooted the computer, the DHCP address changed, but the Network Status message was the same.

I should mention that I'm perfectly able to connect the Powerbook to the Internet using an Ethernet cable.

I'm worried, not least because it happened as I was browling. Would it be possible for a visited site to cause anything like this? It sounds very unlikely but I'm grasping at straws, here. Or is it my aged computer, with its broken right-hand hinge and useless battery, that's bust a synapse somewhere?

I'd be very grateful for any assistance. I'm going to be out of the country for a few days, leaving on Thursday, and am not sure if I'll be online much until Monday - just fyi if I don't respond immediately :)

Best,
-Linnéa Anglemark, Uppsala, Sweden

Check that your internet sharing preferences on the G5 are correct. They should be Share your connection from: (Your ISP connection)
then under that
Airport box should be checked.

Back